Xi'an


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
May 14th 2008
Published: May 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We spent one night in Yichang after visiting the Dam and then got an overnight 16 hour train to Xi'an. The train journey wasn't too bad and we spent most of the time chatting with a Chinese girl called Phoebe who is studying English. Once we arrived in Xi'an she saw us to the bus to help us avoid the numerous touts!

Our hostel was right in the centre of town and we could see the Bell Tower from our window. That afternoon we walked to the South Gate of the city walls and walked along the top of the wall to the West gate. We then went for dinner in a really cheap dumpling restaurant. I'm still completley inept at using chopsticks and no restaurants have forks so whilst Chris was tucking in, I was chasing mine around the plate! I also managed to drop one right in the bowl of soy sauce sending splashes all down myself, to the amusement of many other diners!!

The following day we went to the Terracotta Warriors, catching the public bus as the alternative to a very pricey tour! The terracotta figures, dating from 210 BC, were discovered in 1974 by several local farmers near the Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor. Apparently he built the army and horses to protect himself and his tomb after his death. There are 3 pits and some have been excavated whilst others remain untouched as the warriors that have been on display have lost all their colour. They hope to develop a technique to protect the figures before they dig more up. There are about 6000 on display in the main pit.

That evening we went to see the Big Goose Pagoda where there is a water, music and light show every evening. This was excellent though very crowded. After we walked around the Pagoda and saw a gathering of hundreds of people line-dancing - strange!

The following day we went to the Muslim Quarter to wander around the alleyways. We saw the Great Mosque and the many market stalls. Up early the following morning to fly to Shanghai!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.2074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb