Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
May 17th 2008
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We got a cheap flight from Xi'an to Shanghai to cut down on the time the trains take! From the airport we caught the Maglev train to the city centre. This train goes at 430kph and takes only 8 minutes - Chris was very impressed!

We found our hostel, had lunch and then went to Nanjing Road. This is a pedestrianised road famous for shopping. It was packed - worse than Oxford Street at Christmas! We walked down to the Bund and along the river. We then went to People's Square and sat in People's Park to watch the world go by. From here, we walked through the French Concession area which is likened to Kensington and Chelsea, and had some more dumplings in a nice restaurant! We caught the Metro home and found a channel showing the FA cup! Unfortunately due to the 4am start, I fell asleep after about 10 minutes and missed it! Chris struggled through and caught bits and pieces!

The following day we didn't do much as it was pouring with rain! On our third day we caught the bus to Yu Yuan's gardens and Bazaar. This is a quaint area with lots of shops and stalls around a garden and lake. We decided to sample what looked like an innoculous spring roll but had me gagging after one mouthful. Chris summed it up when he yelled "It tastes like farmyard!" We don't know what it was, but it was rough! In the evening we walked to the Bund to see it lit up at night.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb