Lushun and we saw seashells by the seashore-museum


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Liaoning » Dalian
July 26th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ni Hao from Dalian!
Today is Sunday so we got a bit of a sleep -in! It was quite rainy this morning but this afternoon turned out to be a beautiful day with comfortable temperatures in the mid-20s.

We headed outside of the city today to visit Lushun, also known as Port Arthur. It is the location of Hill 203 the key objective point for both the Russians and Japanese in the 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese War.

We climbed to the top and saw the Japanese memorial and could get an amazing view of the port wherein the Japanese would have landed. This part of the city has lots of boats in the harbor and there are lots of shipyards too. We also took a visit to the Victory Tower where the Chinese created a
monument to thank the Russians for their help in liberating Lushun and Dalian ultimately in 1945. Many of the students have not yet studied this history so it was a bit complex for them to understand but they did enjoy the views and many also took photos with themselves and the cannons at the peak.

We had a very good seafood meal in a 4 star hotel in Lushun with crab, shrimp, and other seafood which are famous in Dalian.

In the afternoon we headed back to Dalian and went to the very famous seashell museum near Xinghai Bay. There so many different types of shell species some of which we can find in Canada and others that can only be found at the bottom of the sea. The students found the shells unique and definitely loved shopping at the gift shop!

We had a very nice dinner to finish off the evening again with local seafood.

The students have been really enjoying the diversity of the foods and have been continuing to make new friends as they sit with different people each meal. They continue to be eating well and are very courteous to each other and to us. We continue to be grateful as supervisors for their amazing behavior—they are excellent ambassadors for Canada, the TDSB and Qiaoban!

Tomorrow we are off to the Liaoning University for a fun-filled day of activities in Chinese culture, crafts and language. We are looking forward to sharing this together.

We hope you are all doing well back home. We think of you all often and look forward to seeing you on Wednesday upon our return.

Everyone is happy and healthy and having a great time that they are documenting in photos. No doubt lots of stories to be sharedupon our return.

Take care,

The students and supervisors of the Chinese Heritage Camp


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb