China 2013 - Jingdezhen here I come again!


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangxi » Jingdezhen
June 13th 2013
Published: June 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Summer 2013. Nearly eleven weeks in China. A week visiting friends in Shenzhen/Guangzhou and then working in a Jingdezhen studio.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

GuangzhouGuangzhou
Guangzhou

Student exhibitions in their museum
GuangzhouGuangzhou
Guangzhou

That night I got together with Jeremy Vaughn, from MN, who used to teach English at the Jingdezhen Ceramic Institute. He is now teaching at a small school outside of Guangzhou. We get together around the holidays in MN and talk China! Also got to see Aida (Xiaoxi) who graduated from the Jingdezhen university and I met out at Sanbao. She is now giving private painting lessons and creating her artwork.
GuangzhouGuangzhou
Guangzhou

Xiaoxi showed me one of the porcelain pieces from an installation she is creating. It will be in a dark room and have fifteen of these heads with light sticks inside arranged in a triangle.
GuangzhouGuangzhou
Guangzhou

Xiaoxi's illuminated piece.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

Andy borrowed his brother's car and drove us to Foshon, 45 minute drive from Guangzhou, to see an ancient dragon kiln.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

Nanfeng kiln (south wind) was finished around 1521 of the Ming Dynasty. It is the oldest existing dragon kiln and still being fired. At this point one dragon kiln looks like another. We walked around and photographed for a while. I explained many ceramic techniques and terms to Andy as being a painter he is not familiar.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

We had a good time chatting about art and life. He talked about having one month mandatory military training while in college. I told him how I had to register for the Vietnam War draft but the war was just finishing at the time. I think the class of 1974 was the last class to do so. It was so interesting to learn about China from him and he fascinated with how things are in the states.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

I "carefully" bumped me head on each of these signs.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

At the kiln a small shop had a guy creating these miniature tree, dwelling sculptures.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

Modeling an arm and hand
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

Amazing detail
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

A little man
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

We were told by Professor Tan that the one of the professors and school officials Professor Wei Hua had a studio next to the old kiln. We stopped in to meet him and he welcomed us to his studio for tea and chat. Andy did most of the talking of course and only translated a few times. We told Professor Hua I was interested in exhibiting my work in the area. He said anything is possible. He said if I would like I could show in the Foshon Museum. This of course sounds interesting but also impossible as museums book years in advance. His assistant walked us to the museum where we first viewed a public art installation Professor Hua had completed. It was a waterfall made from hundreds of toilets and urinals. Foshon is most famous as an industrial ceramics area so these objects were probably seconds and readily available. Though big, it was rather and unappealing installation. Didn't Duchamp already do this anyway? The toilets were full of growing weeds and liter.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

This city must be "flush" with money to pay for such a large installation. Good money down the toilet in my opinion.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

One more just to get the full scope.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

We moved on quickly to find a beautiful new museum built next to a manmade lake. Walking inside however was less inspiring as there were a series of paintings and photographs on the wall and some clay figures pushed up against pillars. I do not think anyone ever goes to this place, as it is a long walk to access. The effort would not be worth it for me to show here. A shame.
FoshonFoshon
Foshon

We drove back as quickly as possible for Andy had a painting class to teach that night. He teaches continuing education classes at the old campus near my hotel and his apartment. I was on my own for supper this evening and asked Lily, the 7 Days Inn supervisor, a recommendation of where to eat. She took me outside and gave explicit directions to go down one street three minutes and turn left. There she said I will find a KFC! What???? I did not come to China to eat at KFC! I told her I prefer Chinese food and local food. She was surprised at first then directed me to a large restaurant across the street. I thanked her but decided to explore and find a small local restaurant instead. I found one close by and had some dumplings and vegetables. More my style!



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 40; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb