#89 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Dec.2007: My 2nd Christmas at Taizhou Teachers College, China)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
December 15th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

IN ANOTHER 10 DAYS I WILL CELEBRATE MY 2nd CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS IN CHINA, AND IT IS A MOMENT TO REFLECT ON THE BLESSINGS OF MY LIFE. MY 18 MONTHS IN CHINA HAVE BEEN EVERY BIT THE ADVENTURE I HAD HOPED FOR, AND HAVE BROUGHT ME MORE JOY THAN I COULD HAVE ASKED FOR. TO MY WONDERFUL FAMILY, TO MY OLD FRIENDS AT HOME AND IN FOREIGN LANDS, TO MY NEW AND SPECIAL FRIENDS IN CHINA, TO MY CURRENT STUDENTS A... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Taizhou is becoming more beautiful.Taizhou is becoming more beautiful.
Taizhou is becoming more beautiful.

I was lucky to be one of the first visitors to this beautiful new river park to be opened in the spring to the citizens of Taizhou.
ImaginationImagination
Imagination

Naturally shaped stones, buildings, water, and trees are an intrigal part of all Chinese gardens.
Shubei Pavillion of TaizhouShubei Pavillion of Taizhou
Shubei Pavillion of Taizhou

Numerous Pavillions and traditional Chinese architectual structures are making the walk through the city of Taizhou a wonderful experience.
It is all about balance.It is all about balance.
It is all about balance.

Leaving the river front of Taizhou, and walking its streets, the photo opportunities continue, as this young man is trying to manage the transport of this tree on his moped.
Minorities from around China visit Taizhou to offer their traditional foods.Minorities from around China visit Taizhou to offer their traditional foods.
Minorities from around China visit Taizhou to offer their traditional foods.

In one of the side-streets of Taizhou on this day I encounter a small food festival, where delicacies from around China are served to those who dare.
"You must try some this!""You must try some this!"
"You must try some this!"

On my way trough the street-fair, I meet two of my students from the college, who offer me some of the exotic "morsels" they are holding on the sticks. I told them: "Next time, maybe"!
Hot PotHot Pot
Hot Pot

One of the traditional regional dishes is the "Hot Pot", where "tid-bits" of imaginables and un-imaginables are added to the boiling content.
Carved stone columns are a permanent reminder to Taizhou's progress.Carved stone columns are a permanent reminder to Taizhou's progress.
Carved stone columns are a permanent reminder to Taizhou's progress.

Carved marble columns grace the streets of Taizhou at the entrance into one of the many river parks.
Mr. Hu Jintao's schoolMr. Hu Jintao's school
Mr. Hu Jintao's school

Taizhou is proud of the home-boy, Mr. Hu Jintao, current President and Head of State for the P.R. of China.
Art in the parks of Taizhou.Art in the parks of Taizhou.
Art in the parks of Taizhou.

Wonderful art and statues grace every corner of the parks and walk-ways of Taizhou. One of my favorites is this young man standing on his hands in his birthday-suit.
Almost completedAlmost completed
Almost completed

Some parts of the river and canals within the city are near completion. Only the landscaping seems to be missing for the moment.
Taizhou is getting ready for the passing of the 2008 Olympic Torch and Flame.Taizhou is getting ready for the passing of the 2008 Olympic Torch and Flame.
Taizhou is getting ready for the passing of the 2008 Olympic Torch and Flame.

Within months all parts along the canals and rivers will look like this, with wonderful walk-ways secured by marble railings the length of the banks.
Newest Taizhou river-crossingNewest Taizhou river-crossing
Newest Taizhou river-crossing

On my way back to my college campus, having walked Taizhou for hours, this is one of the beautiful bridges to cross. I was just completed within this year.
End of the tour and time to return to TTC.End of the tour and time to return to TTC.
End of the tour and time to return to TTC.

I hope you enjoyed the small photo-journey through the city of Taizhou in its newest "splendor". It is time to return to the college campus to host what is known as an "English Corner".
A happy child.A happy child.
A happy child.

On my return, and making my way to the English Corner, I'm greeted by this smiling face.
English CornerEnglish Corner
English Corner

This is one version of an English corner, and they can be held in many locations, both inside and outside.
On her headOn her head
On her head

During the discussions in the English Corners of TTC, this young lady displays her break-dancing-skills to the group. Western music and youth-activities are imitated and enjoyed by their Chinese counterparts.
A small lecture on the importance of the 2008 Olympics for China.A small lecture on the importance of the 2008 Olympics for China.
A small lecture on the importance of the 2008 Olympics for China.

When invited, the students participating in the English Corner usually ask me to make some comments on their topic of discussion.
Class-Monitor, Darren and his "friend".Class-Monitor, Darren and his "friend".
Class-Monitor, Darren and his "friend".

Darren is one of the class-monitors, a wonderful and responsible young student, who organized this English Corner.
The students are ready for the nights Music and Drama Competitions.The students are ready for the nights Music and Drama Competitions.
The students are ready for the nights Music and Drama Competitions.

The student body of TTC has gathered to enjoy the competions of Drama and Music at our Auditorium. Students from the different departments will perform for the 5th Annual Culture and Drama Festival.
The costumes in Chinese drama are quite sensational.The costumes in Chinese drama are quite sensational.
The costumes in Chinese drama are quite sensational.

They are quite sure, that the competition is in their bag.



15th December 2007

I am the First! :-)
WOW! I am the first one to leave a comment. Cheers! Hope you can get used to the cold weather in Taizhou. Always keep yourself warm and hope people around you can make your mood shiny inside. :-)
15th December 2007

amazing changes in the city
I am stunned to see the many changes and beautiful river and parks - it was only 2005 when I was there with my son(and hometown Taizhou boy) Tai, and the transformation is lovely. My son is willing now to go back to visit at once, as long as he can eat his McDonald's french fries daily!
15th December 2007

Thanks for the gift of observation and insights into your "chinese" life. Fascination and enlightenment exquisitely presented. Happy Chirstmas to you Professor and beloved friend!!
15th December 2007

Culture
It really is a culture shock seeing how different things are around the world. I am so glad you are loving your new home, we miss you here in Miami. Merry Christmas Herr Schneider!
15th December 2007

happy holidays
Have a very very merry Christmas, Schneider. I hope the new year brings you a thousand more adventures that you can share with us. Take care.
16th December 2007

Great photos once again!
Hi Hans, Great blog once again and I must say being without your personal camera hasn't affected the quality of your photo essays one bit! Now, I'd better get back on the job myself. Far too long since I published a blog of my own! Hard to believe yet another teaching term at Taizhou Teachers College is almost at a close. Keep warm and happy Sue
20th December 2007

Happy Holidays!!
hey Schnieder! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!! I wish you all the best with your new students and may the year of the Rat bring you luck and prosperity! Love always, Veronica C.
23rd December 2007

Oh wow. It looks so awesome to live there... Cute puppy too... Merry Christmas Mr. Schneider! :D I'm glad you're having fun.
29th December 2007

Thank you very much!
Hello, Hans ,Thank you !
10th February 2010

Wow,your life is so colourful!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb