#92 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Chinese Weddings in Taizhou)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
January 16th 2008
Published: January 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

My time in Taizhou has been made more "colorful" by many invitations to Chinese weddings, especially among the English-staff of our college as well as some of Arthur's friends. The occasions have become wonderful introductions into the changing trends of China's ancient customs, as Western tradions enter and begin to permiate many aspect of China's thousand year old traditions. As in the Unite... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The "go-betweens" or "match-makers" are all smiles, having brought bride and groom to this special evening.The "go-betweens" or "match-makers" are all smiles, having brought bride and groom to this special evening.
The "go-betweens" or "match-makers" are all smiles, having brought bride and groom to this special evening.

These two "go-betweens", who brought the bride and groom together, are celebrated by sitting at the head table, surrounded by the smoke of their ciggarettes.
The first toast of bride and groom go to one of the "go-betweens".The first toast of bride and groom go to one of the "go-betweens".
The first toast of bride and groom go to one of the "go-betweens".

The couple expresses their gratitude to one "go-between" for her efforts.
"Thank you for bringing us together.""Thank you for bringing us together."
"Thank you for bringing us together."

The other "go-between" receives equal thanks for her successful efforts from the wedding-couple by being toasted with modest paper-cups. This was by far one of my favorite evenings in Taizhou.
The "go-between" team offer their services to another victim!"The "go-between" team offer their services to another victim!"
The "go-between" team offer their services to another victim!"

They seemed somewhat tired from their last efforts of "match-making", and I declined their offer noting, that perhaps my partner has already been located?? But I was grateful for their suggestions.
Another wedding-couple waits for invited guests under a rainbow of flowers.Another wedding-couple waits for invited guests under a rainbow of flowers.
Another wedding-couple waits for invited guests under a rainbow of flowers.

There is a definite sequence of events in the life of the Chinese: 1.Graduation from school, 2.Finding a job, 3.Meeting their life's partner to marry, 4. Giving birth to their "one" child, 5. Raising their child and taking care of their parents, 6. Expecting the same sequence of events from their child. 7. The un-mentionable!
The shape of the rainbow comes in many representations.The shape of the rainbow comes in many representations.
The shape of the rainbow comes in many representations.

Bride and groom with maid of honor and best man perpetuate the newer traditions of a Chinese wedding.
"I hope all of their fantasies come true""I hope all of their fantasies come true"
"I hope all of their fantasies come true"

The dreams and hopes of a Chinese wedding are captured in photos, usually shot months before the actual wedding day in the most romantic locations. Celebrations surrounding the weddings have become extravagant and expensive.
I wanted to share my first snow in Taizhou with you.I wanted to share my first snow in Taizhou with you.
I wanted to share my first snow in Taizhou with you.

Looking toward the left from my apartment balcony, I was greeted by this snowy scene only days ago. It was the first snow in Taizhou for several years, and the severe cold was not appreciated.
In Taizhou, the heavy fog of late has been replaced by a blanket of snow.In Taizhou, the heavy fog of late has been replaced by a blanket of snow.
In Taizhou, the heavy fog of late has been replaced by a blanket of snow.

Looking toward the right side from my apartment balcony, my first snow-fall in Taizhou, in China for that matter, was unexpected. The days have been very cold, and I am hybernating in my room, remember my warmer winters in Miami. "Long-johns" have become part of my under-gear, and now make me look even bigger!!



14th January 2008

Chinese Weddings
Dear Hans, This bolg is wonderful. You are so well-informed. You are an expert at Chinese weddings now. Hope you are keeping yourself warm in Taizhou. :-)
14th January 2008

Yo
how's it going big guy? guess what i'm in asia too.... LOL Iraq once again. hope everything's alright where you are at, shoot me an email sometime. mirgel_jimenez@yahoo.com =D
7th December 2008

Hi, Mr Schneider, I had a good laugh while reading this entry. How real! Aber, "andere Länder, andere Sitte", nicht wahr?
11th December 2008

hi
also me ~~
10th May 2010
As plate after plate is served to each table, room becomes sparse.

SO FULL
Your life is so wonderful in China!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb