Suzhou No. 1 Silk Factory


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Suzhou
May 18th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
lunch menulunch menulunch menu

pictures are nice, but I don't trust them - too many strange foods here!
On 5-16, after our tour of the Humble Administrator's Garden, we had lunch and then toured a silk factory. We had lunch at the Happy Hotel. It wasn't as high class as the other Chinese Restaurants we've been to, but it was good. I showed the guide my gluten free paper and he did a great job taking over and figuring out what Leah and I could eat. They only had chopsticks - and one of the things we ordered was rice noodles. We're all doing good picking up chunks of meat and veggies with chopsticks (especially Leah), but eating slippery noodles is a whole different story! We made quite a mess trying to serve ourselves, and eventually the others, including the driver, took turns serving us.

After lunch, we went to the No.1 Silk Factory. It was very interesting, we saw the mulberry plants growing, the silkworms eating, and the whole process of making the silk,then weaving the fabric and making quilts. I will let the pictures explain the process.

At the end of the tour, we purchased two silk pillows which have removable pockets filled with silkworm excrement (yes, their droppings!). We were told these were good
lunchlunchlunch

Rice Noodles and chopsticks don't mix
for headaches, looking online, it seems they are promoted as a cure for all kinds of things!

"The silkworm excrement are processed from drying, cleaning to decontaminating. Silkworm excrement pillow improves eyesight and promotes brainpower. It also can dispel heat, remove toxin and cool blood heat. With the help of our silkworm excrement pillow, your baby would have a sweeter sleep. Our silkworm excrement pillow is an excellent gift for the aged to relieve rheumatic pains. Our silkworm excrement pillow is especially appreciated by those with hypertension and tinnitus."



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

signsign
sign

The guide handed me a cocoon and said "Here, take this!" so, we have a cocoon


19th May 2009

Talk about a field trip!!!! wow.... It looks like ya'll a real entertainment (with the sticks and rice) for your lunch buddies!
19th May 2009

Chinese at TGI Friday's
It was funny when we ate at Friday's, the driver seemed just as awkward with a fork as we do with chopsticks!

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb