Nanjing Museum and the Yangzte River


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Nanjing
July 27th 2010
Published: July 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wow, I'm so full. We just had dinner with Jie's uncle, aunt, cousin, and grandmother, and they made me eat sooo much. We had pig feet, noodles, BBQ snake, fried ants, pidgeon, and crawfish. We had a lot for lunch too because we ate at the buffet at the hotel again. We got a late start this morning but still managed to make it out to a big bridge in Nanjing that crosses the Yangtze River. The third longest river in the world and the longest in Asia. We drove across it in a taxi. It was really wide too because it's the rainy season in China and the river expanded because there's too much water. Then we had the taxi take us to the Nanjing History Museum. I really liked it, it had exhibits for chinese porcelain, earthen works made from baked earth, Jade pieces dating back over 6000 years, an art exhibit, and another exhibit that was all about history. But it was completely in Chinese so I didn't understand all of it. In the porcelain exhibit there was a vase that had the word "Shou" on it, over 200 times, because this character can be written 200 different ways in Chinese. After that we worked out at the gym in the hotel for a while. Then we went to see if the Nanjing Art Museum was open. Sadly it wasn't. So since dinner wasn't until 6:30 we had a long time to wait. We couldn't go back to the hotel or Jie's house because it was too far away and would cost a ton to take a taxi. So we went to the post office instead and got some post cards sent out. Now I'm back at the hotel getting my bags ready to fly to Beijing tomorrow. We leave at 9am so hopefully will still have time to sightsee tomorrow too. It takes me a few extra days to put up pictures for each entry because I have to get the pictures with me in them from Jie. I'll get them up soon though.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

the "shou" jarthe "shou" jar
the "shou" jar

200 different ways of writing "shou"
one of the paintings one of the paintings
one of the paintings

there was a chinese couple who both loved to paint. the museum had an exhibit dedicated to them
Tiger PaintingTiger Painting
Tiger Painting

the man of the couple was famous for his Tiger paintings, most of them can't be shown in the museum because they're priceless
statuestatue
statue

this man is in the game "dynasty warriors"
Me with Jie's familyMe with Jie's family
Me with Jie's family

his cousin, me, his mom, and his grandmother


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 116; dbt: 0.1192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb