First KFC and McDonalds - now Disney World!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Danyang
November 4th 2009
Published: November 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Here comes the mouse!Here comes the mouse!Here comes the mouse!

Disney will be opening their biggest theme park yet in Shanghai...another reason to be glad we are headed home in a month or so...:)
A few weeks ago for a class lesson on the importance of taking notes, I put together a Powerpoint presentation of the Seven Most Popular Theme Parks in the World. Needless to say, my students paid extra attention, especially when the "Disney-esque" theme park in Beijing was mentioned. Not only did I have some updated shots of Minnie and Mickey (they look JUST like Disney's Minnie and Micket...hmmmmm), I also had to explain the theme parks slogan: Disney is too far away, come here!...naturally a conversation about copyright and infringement followed but it's just standard business practice over here and the kids know it.

And just today I read that the real Walt Disney has agreed to begin construction on their largest theme park yet - in Shanghai.

The initial resort, with a mix of shopping areas, hotels and a Magic Kingdom-style theme park, will sprawl across 1,000 acres of the city’s Pudong district — with the theme park occupying about 100 of those acres. It would be a little bigger than Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif., and on par with the parks in Paris and Tokyo. It is expected to open in five or six years. Disney’s plans are
The whole class at Halloween...The whole class at Halloween...The whole class at Halloween...

This is Class 19, my International University Program students. They all are in a 3-year track and get intensive English training so they can take the IELTS and go abroad for their university studies. We threw a Halloween party to show them how we do it in the USA...
ambitious: If further development of the resort happens as expected over the coming decades — still a big if — it will encompass more than 1,700 acres and have a capacity rivaling Disney World in Florida, which attracts about 45 million annual visitors.

In a few short years Disney will land on Shanghai like a virus, taking over what is easily the coolest, most exciting city in this massive country. I guess since we are scheduled to leave here and head back to Tampa in several weeks, we will miss the biggest injection of western influence since KFC opened up here in the Middle Kingdom. Maybe Shanghai will get lucky and they will get a Chinglish version of Space Mountain. Or they can import some of the original folks from the globally-rich strangely adorable, It's a Small World ride...

We are supposed to be flying back to Tampa on December 22nd, thanks to a very unprofessional and lying British Airways, we must use our non-refundable tickets and can not extend them past one year although we were told personally about six months ago we could. Short of buying two more one-way tickets (about $1,800) at today's prices, we
Candi as Housewife...Candi as Housewife...Candi as Housewife...

We asked her what she was dressed as and Candi says she is a Chinese housewife...
are being forced to leave about six weeks before our original contract is up. Our school wants us to stay the entire contract period but they are not offering us any money either so it looks like we will be home for Christmas after all. We have our passports in our possession at all times here so we like to think we are free to leave whenever we want...

We are excited about getting back home to see family and friends and already planning for our next adventure in 2011, after we work and save up some more money in 2010. I'm throwing in a few pictures of our students during a Halloween Party Jenny and I threw for them complete with candy, costume contest, pin the stem on the pumpkin game, and the highlight of the night was teaching them how to play musical chairs. They loved it...

Be home soon, and Happy Holidays to you all!






Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Candi, Alice, and Rita...Candi, Alice, and Rita...
Candi, Alice, and Rita...

The Chinese housewife, a Chinese opera singer, and Rita couldn't tell us what she was dressed as...
Always colorful Reed...Always colorful Reed...
Always colorful Reed...

The most energetic of the bunch is always Reed, who went after the Twilight look with the vampire costume...
Pym and Reed...Pym and Reed...
Pym and Reed...

That's Pym on the left as a Japanese cartoon hero, with Reed as the vampire from Twilight...
Space alien helps w/computer...Space alien helps w/computer...
Space alien helps w/computer...

That's Jenn in the middle, she was an alien, helping the students pick some music for the party...
I asked these two who they are...I asked these two who they are...
I asked these two who they are...

and Jerry and Moon both said, "we are dressed up as students"...good idea, lazy, but good idea...
The Wolf and Mr. Chen...The Wolf and Mr. Chen...
The Wolf and Mr. Chen...

That's me on the left as a werewolf, and our host, Mr. Chen as himself...
Wolfie and Jack...Wolfie and Jack...
Wolfie and Jack...

Wolfie on the left with Jack, who was basically a dead guy...he does a trick with his eyeballs later that freaked us out though!!
Terry and Sai...Terry and Sai...
Terry and Sai...

Only a few students didn't dress up and Terry and Sai are two of my best...
James the Chinese superhero...James the Chinese superhero...
James the Chinese superhero...

There is a Chinese superhero that can't be translated into English, that's what James is for halloween...
No need for contact lenses...No need for contact lenses...
No need for contact lenses...

This is Jack doing his walking dead impression..somehow he turns his eyeballs up in their sockets and it is very very creepy to see..


4th November 2009

the truth
tick tick tick tick the countdown is ticking away......we'll be glad to get you back safe and sound. If life gets boring again in 2010 you'll be allowed to carry your passports around in your pocket back here too. Thought of you the other day when I saw that the exhibit on "The Human Body" was being shown at the High Museum here in Atlanta. I never knew that real people had their skin cut off. Then they were soaked in epoxy and bent to dry in different poses to show the muscles and tendons as they appear when they are used. Quite an exhibition. I didn't go but I heard it was a true wonder. Any idea where the original people came from, the ones whose bodies were used in the exihibit?
5th November 2009

The Bodies are everywhere!
Hey, Dad...yea, I went to that amazing exhibit when it was down in Tampa at the MOSI space and science center. Breathtaking stuff, at first they couldn't show it because of the protests, seems most of the bodies came from China, peasants probably, nobody knew for sure, but it eventually was opened to the public and it was so much more than amazing..it's not just the human bodies, they have a whole room of real hearts, cells, stuff that most of us only see in textbooks...I went with a physician I was dating at the time and that made it even more astounding..if you can go - GO!!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb