Our Year is Almost Over in...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Danyang
November 29th 2009
Published: November 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Jenny at Latitudes in Shanghai...Jenny at Latitudes in Shanghai...Jenny at Latitudes in Shanghai...

We hit an all you can drink anniversary party in Shanghai at a French Club called Latitudes. It was chilly but very cool place, especially out on the patio...brrrrr.r..
China!
Since our huge National Day celebration last month, China has been in the news more then Tiger Woods getting a smack down from his wife for fooling around with a party girl, ala Elliot Spitzer.

Everyday we are reading all about China impacting the world; From ethnic uprisings on the Pakistan border and in Tibet, to National Day pride on their 60th Anniversary of the PRC, to Asia propping up the dollar and leading the world out of the recession, to the execution of folks responsible for the tainted milk scandal last year, to the detention in black jails of folks who are trying to complain about the Sichuan earthquake and the deaths of thousands of children due to shoddy school construction, to finally someone proving the connection between imported Chinese dry wall and inhalation problems, electrical appliance failures, mildew and subsequent infections, and the god-awful smell of rotten eggs from this tainted and poisonous dry wall, the list goes on and on and on...

In fact, we joke all the time that there is no better time to be in China than right now, probably in all of history. This country is BOOMING!

And sadly, we are a mere three weeks away from
Wine Sampler at Latitude...Wine Sampler at Latitude...Wine Sampler at Latitude...

The restaurant, called Longitude, was progressive French fusion with some nice wines...
leaving and heading back home to Tampa, Florida.

That's right. After being over here close to a year, Jennifer is scheduled to fly home on British Airways on December 22nd (the airlines say we must use our return tickets by December 22nd or we lose them = losing $3,600) and as many of you know, I was hoping to also be on that flight with her. But, my contract stipulates that I stay and finish teaching this 2nd semester which is not over until February 5th. We explained that we both needed to leave on the 22nd or we lose a lot of money, but my hosts have politely, but firmly, said that Jennifer can leave early, but that I must stay as we agreed almost a year ago.

However, as China churns out more media news every hour, we too have had some news of our own this past week. This week I will be politely, but firmly, explaining to my hosts that due to circumstances beyond our control, I will also be leaving with Jennifer on the 22nd. I don't want to go into details in such a public forum, but last week I learned my
Champagne in Shanghai...Champagne in Shanghai...Champagne in Shanghai...

Finished the evening at Latitude with complimentary Champagne...nice place, a bit $$$, but in Shanghai everything is expensive now....
Mom, Linda, had a stroke. She was on vacation with her dearest friends in Beaufort, South Carolina, when she collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. She made it through some tough days, including the seven hour trip back to her hometown in Virginia, where she is now resting and rehabbing at a top-notch facility near her home. Thanks to her amazing friends Peggy, Virginia, Graham, Scot, Moose, and family, Tim, and Allison who managed to get to Courtland and help out, she is out of the critical window but she has lost movement on her right side and will be in the hospital for at least a month or more. It was a difficult decision not to fly home immediately but once my brother, Tim, filled me in on the entire situation I believe it is best to wait until our flight home in a few weeks.

It has been a tremendous year with both Jennifer and I being challenged by the smallest things each and every day. We can still hear a conversation after being over here a year and have no idea what is being said whatsoever!, ordering lunch is still difficult, getting to a store
Homemade DumplingsHomemade DumplingsHomemade Dumplings

Jenny found us a recipe for our favorite food over here - dumplings. After hours of work I had it almost perfected, but they looked better than they tasted...burp! won't be doing that again...
in a taxi is a hit or miss. But we have overcome every challenge and this year abroad has been an incredible experience that we will cherish for the rest of our lives. We are heading back to Tampa to work for another year and save money so we can do this again in another country in 2011.

I will try to get one more blog out before we head back across the globe towards balmy Tampa. Until then, Happy Thanksgiving to you all and best wishes as your holiday season ramps up into high gear.

Peace.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Tiny Kitchen...Tiny Kitchen...
Tiny Kitchen...

Everything here is small, including the kitchen. But we managed to crank out some delicious meals while here, although dumplings will take a lot more practice...:)
Jenny and Friends...Jenny and Friends...
Jenny and Friends...

This is Jenny with Ting-Ting on the left, and Tian-Tian on the right. TingTing is an English teacher and TianTian is an accountant. Jenn has learned a ton from hanging out with these two for several months...
Eyeglasses and VinegarEyeglasses and Vinegar
Eyeglasses and Vinegar

Downtown in our 'small' city, population 1 million. Danyang is famous for their eyeglasses and their unique vinegar which goes great on everything, but couldn't save my dumplings...:(


1st December 2009

YEAH!!
Very nice Sean, you guys seem to having the time of your lives over there. Once in a lifetime I'd say. Good for you!! Hope to see you soon when you get back to the US! Haj

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb