China in mourning.


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Inner Mongolia » Hohhot
May 19th 2008
Published: May 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Ofcourse we all know about the horrible eartquake that destroyed so many people's lives in the south of China.
I happened to be on Qinhua square in central Hohhot for the first of three consecutive days of national mourning, on which each day at 14:28, the exact time of the earthquake in Sichuan province, three minutes of 'silence' is held to commemorate the lives lost.
In China this is done by sounding the alarm and all traffic sounding their horns.
It was actually a good experience to be there at that time, It really felt like this huge populous country was united for three minutes, all thinking about the same thing.
I just wanted to share that with anyone interested, unfortunately, the video quality of my new camera isn't too good.
I also added some pics of the largest park in Hohhot; Qincheng park.
It used to house the zoo, before it was moved to the north, but still has a kind of attraction park in it, although that seems to date from the sovjet time, it's kinda rusty.
For a 10 Yuan we survived the ferris wheel, which gives you a nice birds eye view of the city.

One more week and I'll be going on my 2-week holiday to the south. I hope to visit Vietnam and laos.
The latter for the second time, Vietnam for the first time, if I can get my visa sorted out before hand.
Next time from the south!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



29th May 2008

hang chang pang (hoi bro)
mem en ik ha samen de foto,s even besjoen,sjot er good ut. wy winske dien een goeie fakonsje ta. groetsjes fon mem,my,anita,djurre en mirthe. tutsjes

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb