Three Gorges


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hubei » Yichang
March 17th 2008
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Karst TempleKarst TempleKarst Temple

Temple I saw perched atop a karst
I am currently in Yichang after going on a cruise down the Three Gorges. There's this really fancy looking internet cafe, unfortunately, everyone in it is smoking so it's hard to breath, so this will be fast, even though it deserves more time.

Took a 13 hour train ride to get to Wuhan from which we caught a five hour bus ride to Yichang. Orginally going to spend a night in Yichang, but the boat was only leaving on the day we arrived, so we headed out right away. We saw the Three Gorges Dam before heading off on the river (it was really big and grey) on this fairly nice river boat. There was no hot water until about after 12, so I had a lovely cold shower. In the morning a bunch of people tried to order coffee, which has obviously never happened before dispite it being on the shelf, so it was quite the ordeal. As the sun rose though, the river brightened and lit up these huge rock peaks on either side of us. I skipped breakfast and ate the orange I'd bought in Yangshuo, opting to stay outside and look at the scenery, which was impressive.

We landed at this dock where we switched over to a smaller boat, with a guide, who was very informative and friendly. Apparently every guide we've met in China's name is Jan, though, because the driver and the Dam info lady both had the same name. At one point we saw monkeys! And there were also these thousands-of-years-old mountain burial caves that lined the whole cliff sides. It was amazing. The bad bit about the big boat was that this lady spoke on these insanely loud speakers constantly. Anyway, we switched to an even smaller boat where the water was this gorgeous blue-green.

Switched back boats and spent night in town called Fujian, or something. Was Sven's b-day so we got his a cake and set off fire-works. It was awesome fun. Then played murder until about 12:00am and went to bed. Because the town was so small we were able to stay in this amazing hotel with huge rooms and views of the river. It was pretty nice.

Anyway, caught the hydrofoil back to Yichang and now here. Trying to upload a photo of a temple on a Karst in Yangshuo now...



Advertisement



17th March 2008

Hey you!! Glad to read your blog. Sounds great. be nice to see more pics but probably hard to download or some such techy thing....Kim wants some silk for making some article of clothing, if possible that would be nice. not yellow or orange though....Keep in touch, Love Mom
19th March 2008

Hi
Hey Jill. Miss you alot. Dad just read this out for Grandpa, Mom and I, sounds like you are having alot of fun. Can't wait to see you. Love Jess.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb