Enjoyment from the 20th floor and beyond...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hubei » Wuhan
December 21st 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Living on the 20th floor has both advantages and disadvantages - and since we're moving in a few weeks, we've been thinking about them both. Here's what we've figured out so far.

Since we have two large hotels below us, we are provided with constant entertainment. We were going to upload a video here to show you exactly what we mean, but I think the file is corrupted... anyways you see, in China it is customary for every department in every business to do calisthenics every day. For example, in the hotels below us, the cooks, waiters, waitresses, parking aids, and managers all have their own little exercise groups. It differs depending on age and energy level of employees, but it is always entertaining. Before the busy time (in the morning for most, but for these hotels it's before the supper rush) they congregate and are at the mercy of their "masters"... at least for a few minutes. One hotel below us had the brilliant idea to tie everyone together by the ankles, then make the entire group turn circles and run the length of the parking lot. We just stood on the balcony laughing as people fell over, taking the whole row with them. Another time some random guy got in the way of the running line, and they just picked him up and took them with him, flailing his arms. I wish we had gotten those on tape, they were pretty funny... but oh well.

I'll really miss the fireworks too. Every week we are treated to a couple displays, all over the city... different colors, exploding, raining down... we just stand out on the balcony and watch. New Years Eve in Wuhan is gonna be awesome - I promise to take some video then😉

Another amazing thing about the 20th floor is the view. I've included some different photos that we've taken from our balcony. It took me a good three months just to be able to stand on the balcony, but I've mastered it now and am quite proud of myself. Even Houwei gets nervous, and wouldn't leave the comfort of the doorway. But Jean and I are pros now, and we'll be sad to leave the 20th floor when the time comes.

However... we won't miss the "death arias" as we call them, the firecrackers at all hours of the night, or the fact that you can hear every noise from the city below. And we REALLY won't miss "Crazy Lady" next door (as we've dubbed her) who enjoys screaming at her man in the middle of the night, turning up the TV to full volume at 4am, and having very loud sex at all hours of the day. Try having company over when the headboard next door is banging on the wall - it's kind of embarrassing! I have lost count of the times we have banged on the wall - thank goodness it usually has the intended effect.

On to "smaller" and better things - soon you will be treated to pictures of our new apartment! Until then...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



16th December 2008

Hey there, Where do I find the video... I am not seeing it... but I might just be blind!!!
17th December 2008

Sorry...
I uploaded the wrong video by accident and then deleted the post. It will be back up with the new video soon...

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb