Lunar New year trip 3 - Suoga Tiao-Hua


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guizhou
February 12th 2011
Published: February 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Oh come on...it wasn't fair!!! I'd been waiting for the Long-Horn Miao festival for the last 10 days, and it was good weather all along, but the sky was sour with tiny rain drop this morning. luck not on my side I guess!
As you could see by the name...Long-Horn, it was the most outstanding feature of their costume. first they fixed a feet long wooden comb on the back of their head, then wound it up with thick mixture of real hair and feather threads, until it got to the desirable shape then finished it up by cross tied with white thread. the huge headdress could be more than 10kg! the long sleeve robe is full of cross stitch pattern with the back panel longer than the front piece, they wear a neck-lace which is composed by couple of ratten rings, shape like a headband with a piece of embroidered panel in front. an apron shape like a shoulder bag in black colour hanging down from their neck in front(what a strange combination), they wear long skirt with horizontal stripe in red, white and black colour, some women even had sheep skin legging. actually they call themselve Qing-Miao instead of Long-Horn Miao. some of the women had white colour robe in simple cross stitching pattern instead of the heavy designed one. perhaps that was for summer as it made with thinner fabric. The Suoga area is dominated mostly by this Qing Miao, but in the festival ground I also see another Qing Miao came from Nayong area, the dark headdress was like a big funnel with a huge red wooden comb on the back. full pattern long sleeve robe same style as the Long-Horn Miao, 2 layers of front apron in square and rectangular shape. long skirt same like their sister tribe but with a band of cross stitching design on the waist area. The rest of the crowds was totally Han, photographiers and couple of Da Hua Miao with those polyester fabric that you could seen in many places in Guizhou.
The festival was exactly what I'd expected, only the opening speech was a surprise! very brief, no non-sense with a simple hello and the general greeting, after a string of 10 meter fire cracker and it straight to the start. and again...as you would also predict...the performance was like all the rest of the festival I'd seen so far, when those girls shaked with the disco music, the crowds volley out thundering whistle...heyyyy...they really like this! after the lushen dance which they claimed was their best...I departed as I was tired of fighting to get a better angle to take picture with hunderds of other camera man, beside I had got enough of the costume picture, and the sky still sprinklering down dusty rain, not giving me any better mood.
yeah...in this Longga village also acted as a Ecological muesum which was joint cooperated by the Chinese and Norway government from 1997, said it was the first in Asia, but I didn't find anything special about this, there is a tiny exhibition hall inside the compound and also a small guesthouse inside.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb