It's raining gorgeous views...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Yangshuo
May 25th 2006
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Paul - So here we are in rainy Yangshuo. Very rainy in fact. Not that we can really complain, it's still about 25 degrees and the scenery is wonderful! When I say wonderful, what I mean is breath taking. In fact let me just take a picture from our internet cafe window to show you all... it's the picture entitled "wish you were here?"

I'm not entirely rubbing your noses in it, it's just very nice. Notice I'm not using exclamation marks so much any more thanks to Andy Marr telling me off. Git.

So you probably want to know what we did today. Well got up at the unsociable hour of half 10 (unsociable as we were in that hazy time of just too late for breakfast, just too early for lunch DAMN!) and wandered out into our quaint little street to find a cafe. Found a lovely little place that did book swappings. Bonus. Met an English guy who had been travelling for about two year and would be travelling to Beijing tonight to start teaching English there. Sounded really interesting. Swapped a book with him, unfortunately Laura spied a "Jeffery Archer" classic on the shelves but we didn't get it. Had freshly squeezed Apple Juice (squeezed in front of us) and some toast before going to get our photo's burned on a CD to send home. Laura spied a mouse in the photo shop and ran away leaving me to sort it out. Bloody girls!

Decided we'd take a random walk out into the countryside (it's very refreshing to be able to do that after all the cities) despite the rain and had a good time. Met a guy from Isreal who did a degree in Kung Fu. I thought it was hilarious (although obviously I didn't mention this in front of him, he was the silent but deadly type - I know these types, like Oddjob from Bond) and wondered how you'd fit Kung Fu into a degree. Anyway you can probably see from the photos that the scenery was incredible so I won't go on. Ended up back in the town after a couple of hours and asked around about prices for rock climbing up the limestone peaks. We'll probably do that on Saturday we think. Found a place that might be doing a pub quiz later so we may check that out. Obviously keeping the trip authentic, we're hoping for some questions on Chairman Mao and the Culutural Revolution. Trust me, we've swotted all day.

The mist is still swirling around the peak tops and we are about to go find some dinner. Yesterday we ate the local speciality "Drunk Duck" which is duck cooked in red wine. I think we'll definately be having that tonight as well, absolutely gorgeous.

Not much else to say really, managed to haggle a silk scarf down from 150 Yuan to 15 Yuan - I didn't want to buy it just wanted to see how much they cost. She practically chased me down the street after that trying to sell it to me.

Laura - No new bites today, which was good but my legs are still looking just as hideous!! I managed to find some eucalyptus oil so the itching is a bit relieved. And yes katie, I thought it looked like chicken pox too. Bites aside, I'm loving Yangshou - very relaxed and pleasantly small which is a nice change from all the polluted cities we're going to.

Before we get comments from concerned relatives, the rock climbing group are British so hopefully their safety standards will be reasonable! Having spent a month in China now, we have come to realise that Chinese saftey standards in general are not quite as high as those we are used to back home!

By the way Dad, your comments and email on Benidorm made laugh so much that we got strange looks from other people in the net bar! Glad to hear it was the cultural experince I expected!

We've added some more photos to some other blogs so if you have a look there might be some new ones. Anyway take care everyone!

Advertisement



25th May 2006

Mouse
What is it about us woman and mice, a panda, elephant, etc., fine (they frighten me too Laura). Surely there's not much more meat left (looking at your legs) for the mosquitoes - you poor darling, the itching is the worse, vinigar is a good remedy to stop itching, if you can put up with the smell. Hope you are both enjoying it as much as we are!!!! Love the funny comments. Lots and Lots of Love to you both.
26th May 2006

conspiracy theory
is it just me, or do these two 'travellers' seem to be spending a lot of time in internet cafes? every two minutes there's a new posting!?! I think they are just in one of those easy internet places on Oxford Street messing around with photoshop all day just to get out of doing any work... ruddy students.
26th May 2006

internet malarky
yeah to be fair we do spend on average half an hour on the internet each day. But when you have 24 hours a day of 'free time'you may as well keep the parents informed. oh this travelling business is such a hard life!
28th May 2006

Play off Final
Good luck to the Grimsby boys. Hope you find somewhere to watch it Paul. Paul if you are interested England play on Tuesday and Saturday in friendlies. Nan has read your blog and she finds it very funny. On half term now so I can join in on your skiving whilst people work - kayles is not happy. Laura I know you have spots on your legs - try weeing on them - or is that jelly fish stings?!
3rd June 2006

Did Grimsby win?
[see title]

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb