Limestone, Yao, and rice


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Yangshuo
October 26th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yao!Yao!Yao!

At the Yao village in the mountains, these lovely ladies and the little baby who is in the process of blowing us a kiss, consent to a photo in front of some of the new village homes.
Tyler is off to Guam for a cross country race. Jessica to Japan to compete in a tennis tournament. Hmmm, that leaves Matt and I with 3 days all by our lonesome. What better opportunity than this to travel to a region Jessie has already been and Tyler certainly doesn't want to venture into. Guilin and Yangshuo are famous in China for their unique limestone mountain formations and ethnic tribal presence. The beauty is so prized that they print it's scenery on the back of their RMB20 note. Despite rain and somewhat cool weather conditions, we enjoy cruising the scenic Li river, biking the back roads, learning to cook Yangshuo style, visiting the villages of the Yao and Zhuang people, and climbing the 800 year old rice terraces. We were active, got plenty of rest (albeit on a veritable sheet covered board!), ate right (wow, does a burger and chocolate sundae sound good!), and have returned ready to take on Shanghai life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Land of fame in ChinaLand of fame in China
Land of fame in China

The backside of a RMB20 note.
The same sceneThe same scene
The same scene

Here, the river is in a low season and the boats are a bit more modern, but the mountains are still just as impressive.
Cruising the Li riverCruising the Li river
Cruising the Li river

The limestone mountains, called "karst" formations, are formed from the erosion of the limestone over time. This area once all was a seabed. While a sunny day might have been better, the rain and fog clinging to the mountain tops created a scene that drew the eye and the imagination into it.
Cooking for a crowdCooking for a crowd
Cooking for a crowd

One large wok on the back of the boat and several busy cooks together created an enjoyable chinese buffet. We enjoyed dining as we cruised and also good conversation with our table mates from Canada.
Mr. and Mrs. BarneyMr. and Mrs. Barney
Mr. and Mrs. Barney

I love you, you love me.......Purple raincoats, local made headwear, and a positive attitude are all that's required to savor the Yangshuo countryside.
Ultimate attitude adjustersUltimate attitude adjusters
Ultimate attitude adjusters

Positive attitude - wow! Now these two really know all about it. She's 73 and he 80. Together with other family members they live in a lovely but spartan farmhome in the Yangshuo countryside. 13 generations of their family have lived here!
Ancient chinese secretAncient chinese secret
Ancient chinese secret

Aha! So that's how they stay young and nimble! Snake and scorpion wine. I think I'll take my chances aging western style.
Oy!Oy!
Oy!

The farmer's younger brother enjoys displaying his physical prowess in lifting this VERY HEAVY rock. Maybe that snake and scorpion wine are not such a bad idea after all.
Nightie nightNightie night
Nightie night

Well, it looks comfy, but I've been in enough Chinese beds to know that looks can be deceiving! I'm betting that a granite slab might provide a softer resting place!
Honoring the ancestorsHonoring the ancestors
Honoring the ancestors

Front and center in their reception room, is this memorial to their ancestor who was the second of the generations to live in this home. We presume he was a member of the emporers army.
Beer fishBeer fish
Beer fish

Not only did we eat it, but we liked it too! This is a local specialty using fish from the Li river.
Typical local lunchTypical local lunch
Typical local lunch

Beer fish, egg dish, rice, tarot, green beans with very spicy local peppers, vegetable soup. All was delicious!
Rafting anyone?Rafting anyone?
Rafting anyone?

On a warmer day, we would have jumped to do this. Bamboo rafts, guided by a single oarsmen at the rear, float lazily down this small side river off of the Li river.
Liu Sanjie river showLiu Sanjie river show
Liu Sanjie river show

A feast for the eyes. Over 600 performers + 250 local fisherman participated in this evening show about a young girl from China's ancient history. Set against a dimly lit backdrop of the karst mountain formations, this extravaganza kept our interest even though we couldn't understand of a word of what they were singing. Not surprising that the same person who directed and designed the Olympic opening and closing ceremonies also created this show.
Ants for saleAnts for sale
Ants for sale

Got digestive problems? Need a little protein added to your diet? Here you go - clean, pure, ants - no melamine added!


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb