#13 Retiring Teacher preparing to teach in China (First visit to Guilin)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
March 5th 2006
Published: March 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Natures paint-brushNatures paint-brushNatures paint-brush

Fisherman hoping for the catch of the day.
This might be a very good time to speak in more detail about my time in Guilin, a city in South China, on the Li River. Throughout the city steep, beautifully shaped peaks, few more than 600 feet tall, rise out of the landscape. They are green and poetically shaped high-rises, that have given poets inspiration throughout centuries. Names such as Elephant Trunk Hill, Green Lotus Peak, Snail Hill, Penholder Peak, etc. evoke some creative images. Many of these peaks en-case some spectacular and accessable lime-stone caves. Though less tropical in the winter, the many trees and palms are always a riminder that this is the South. Life is an exiting mixture of the modern and of the primitive. Only minutes from the city, a water-buffallo will be sharing the road with a new Mercedes Bus. Life and the routine seems slower here than in Jiangsu Province further north where I will be teaching. For a Westerner, Guilin and its surroundings brings a feast of new sights, sounds, smells, tastes and textures. The many parks, interconnecting throughout the city, make walking or biking my preferred mode of transportation, and every turn provides a new vista.

This is the
view from hotelview from hotelview from hotel

We had arrived at night. This is what awaited me in the morning.
China, where Cormorant Fishing is still an art and the Leechee fruit is at its flavor-freshest and best. The bamboo-rafts of the Fishermen share the Li River with newer modes of travel throughout the Li River Valleys. I can't wait to travel this river again. The country-side is what I had expect China to be, much like Sevilla as a "first" impression of Spain, and Bavaria as the stereo-type of Germany. As in all travels, the first impression brings comfort, after confirming, what has been described by earlier travellers. Then comes the realization, that what is about to unfold will be like nothing ever experienced.

Let me share some additional memories and photos from my visit in Guilin. I hope you have enjoyed the ones from my previous entries. Just click below, to continue receiving updates.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

No elevator to the topNo elevator to the top
No elevator to the top

Climbing this hill took my breath. Once I reached the top, the view in all directons was even more breath-taking.
The River LiThe River Li
The River Li

Making its way through the city Guilin, the River Li has played an important role in the city's history.
Poetry for the spiritPoetry for the spirit
Poetry for the spirit

This is an experience of sense-suround. One might think that this scene is the un-usual. Think again. This vista could be taken for granted, for it follows your every stride.
modern day fishingmodern day fishing
modern day fishing

Time has changed little and I hope it will be a long time before these commen scenes near Guilin disappear.
Life passes in harmonyLife passes in harmony
Life passes in harmony

The harmony of country life near Guilin has changed little.
Shelter from the stormShelter from the storm
Shelter from the storm

Huge caverns below the peaks have provided comfort and shelter for the locals throughout the ages.
The end of the dayThe end of the day
The end of the day

The sun sets once again in approval


5th March 2006

sounds amazing
wow schneider. your stories are amazing and the photos are beautiful. I'm so happy for you to move there in the summer. I'm sure you can't wait. I've been wanting to come visit you every day but I'm working now and my schedule is 8-5... no holidays. so its hard to get a chance to stop by gables. I hope ... I better see you before you leave...
6th March 2006

Schneider! I'm in town this week for spring break. When should i stop by and try to bother you?
8th March 2006

Incredible
Those are truly beautiful sights. The trip also sounds very exciting. Can we come along to visit??? Let us know once you settle down. Greetings from your student in Bremen!
27th August 2011
The end of the day

Beautiful, Guilin is one of the places on earth which seems like there is magic anf grace in the air

Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 126; dbt: 0.227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb