Beautiful Guilin


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
March 22nd 2005
Published: February 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Flying into Guilin was quite a sight. The mountains were beautiful and it seemed it was the China we had been waiting for. When you imagine China, there are always the thoughts of the gorgeous mountains, rivers, mist, and boats made of bamboo. You imagine something like right out of the art of a traditional Chinese scroll. Well, Guilin is exactly that. You are literally surrounded by mountains for as far as you can see.

Our first night we were able to take an optional trip to see a demonstration of Cormorant fishing. These birds have been used for fishing for hundreds of years. Their lifespan can last 25-30 years, and they usually work for the same family their entire lives. Stings are tied around the bird’s necks and they are then tied to the boat. As they dive and catch fish they are unable to swallow them because of the string, so the fish are dumped in a bucket and they are back in the water again catching. Fishing traditionally takes place at night. It was really a neat thing to see (even though we were freezing!). The birds caught quite a few fish and I loved hearing the fisherman talk to them as they worked.

The next day was our much anticipated boat tour. Our pictures don’t do the trip justice. It was magnificent! It was an appx. 4 hour trip with a stop in a small village at the end for shopping (my favorite!). We purchased some wonderful scroll artwork here from local artists and met a very nice old man who took us behind his shop to his home where he had more “treasures.” He wanted Matt to take a picture of him & I…then of course how could we not purchase something???

We went to a local cave after the tour which was pretty and then we were off to a salt water pearl factory. This is where we saw the cutest baby EVER…once you see the pictures below, you’ll know what we mean. Overall, Guilin was gorgeous and a nice “middle” for our trip. It was relaxing and allowed us to see the other side of China.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The Cutest Baby EverThe Cutest Baby Ever
The Cutest Baby Ever

With Proud Mama
Crazy VendorCrazy Vendor
Crazy Vendor

Hanging onto our boat to see their treasures
Look CloselyLook Closely
Look Closely

Looks like a traditional photo, but he's on his cell phone
PEACEPEACE
PEACE

Matt bought some General Mao stuff from him
Beauty for Sale?Beauty for Sale?
Beauty for Sale?

Beautiful mountains behind vendor booth
Pile it On!Pile it On!
Pile it On!

We saw many bikes piled high with garbage to mattresses, but this one takes the cake!


Tot: 0.344s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 92; dbt: 0.1312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb