Guilin's Diecai Hill Park


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
August 17th 2008
Published: August 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Diecai ParkDiecai ParkDiecai Park

This is The entrance to Diecai Park's main cave. It is surrounded with ancient inscriptions

Guilin's Diecai Hill Park




After visiting Fubo Hill, my Mother and I headed to Diecai Hill Park. This park is also located on the banks of the Li River and is just a bit south of Fubo Hill, within easy walking distance. About fifteen minutes. I like this park, not only for its natural beauty, but for its bird aviary. Diecai Hill is quite a long sprawling hill. It covers a large area and luckily because I work for China Odyssey Tours, I get in free.


Like so many of Guilin's hills it is filled with caves. The main cave is filled with carvings and inscriptions. The most veautiful are around the main entrance. There are many Buddhist carvings as well as inscriptions and poems. My Mother asked me what they said, but sadly I cannot read or understand them. There are also several paintings carved into the cave's interiors. They are quite rare and very beautiful!


After looking around the cave we climbed the highest peak of the hill. The hill has several. It offers a commanding view of the Li River and Downtown Guilin. We stayed on top of the hill enjoying
InscriptionInscriptionInscription

This Poem located outside the entrance to the cave says "I'd rather be a Guilin person than be in heaven".
the view and the breeze. The railings on the peak are covered with brass locks. Each lock has an inscription on it. It is for lovers. It is believed that if you buy a lock, have it engraved, lock it onto the railing and throw the key down that your good luck will last as long as the hill. Obviously many people beleive it because there were thousands of locks there.

After watching the traffic on the river, we climbed back down the mountain and went to the park's aviary. It is HUGE! It is filled with full grown trees and has a pond and a building which houses a stone museum. It is big. It is filled with many indigineous birds. The birds are not afraid of people, and if you buy a little cup of ground corn they practically attack you. I was covered with birds and an egret even sat on my head. My Mother was in hysterics. Luckily I had the camera, so there are no photos of the incident.


After the aviary we climbed another peak. This peak has a cave going right through it. It is called wooden Dragon Cave. It overlooks another park. It offered more great views of Guilin.


Diecai Park is so beautiful. It is not as visited as the other hill parks of Guilin and so is very peaceful. It is covered with foliage and it extremely beatiful. I highly recommend this park to visitors to Guilin with some extra time to kill.





Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



18th August 2008

I agree, this park is absolutely wonderful. I would however, add that people should skip the main peak, as it is often overrun with tourists.
1st September 2008

Thanks. It is often overrun, but the views are spectacular!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb