Sixth part (drinking)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
June 6th 2007
Published: June 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A subject I haven't quite touched yet is the sweet comsuming of alcohol. And this is certinately due to the fact that not much has happened so far, that differs from what we are used to back in Denmark. But last night we met a dutch and british guy, had some beers and watched a crappy movie (the groomsmen, please don't watch it). After the dvd stopped working (they usally do in every movie) we decided to go to a bar of a sort. We got a recommendation from the receptionist, and found the bar about half an hour later.

The first thing we noticed was the metal-detector outside, but this was slightly different from the one they have in the airport. This one was apparantely supposed to bip when there wasn't metal, because it did with everybody and the guards didn't care.
Once we got in we were shown to a table where we could sit. Doesn't seem a very obvious thing to do in a bar. But anyway, we got our own table, ordered some beers and took a look around. The place was, considering it was thursday evening, packed with people, most of them standing an dancing to the music. The chinese must be some of the worst dancers in the world, or the bar was just a gathering place for hopeless cases. The music was practically the same all evening. Only good thing about it was that you eventually got used to the loud bass. When the beers finally arrived we were suprised to find out that the shot-glasses on the table weren't in fact shot-glasses, but beer-glasses shaped like shot-glasses. (makes sense)Even apart from these things it was still weird. Everybody seemed to be having the time of their life (you don't see that often in denmark) and the whole mood was nice.

This entry was supposed to be about drinking, so we'll better get to that in a hurry. Being that the glasses were so small, you just drank them like shots, and the british guy seemed very determinded to get drunk. We got some beers down in a hurry and it kinda removed the culturedifferences. The british guy danced like the chinese, which was very funny to observe. Later on we got to play dice-game with some chinese girls (in fact they just dragged us to their table), it took some time to learn the rules, but it was a easy and funny way to get drunk. We two got our share of the beer, but the british guy had definitely higher goals. When the bar was pretty much emptied at 2 o' clock we found him at the other end of the room sitting and talking rubbish. After having convinced him it was better to go home, he walked two meters, found a new seat, sat down and fell a sleep. In the end we managed to find a cap, and after only one wrong turn and a very amusing attempt to explain a train by sound and bodylanguage we found our way home. The british guy puked a couple of times, and then managed to fell a sleep in the dvd room. The hangover wasn't too tough, but the whole evening was a funny experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb