Guangzhou (Part 2)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
October 18th 2016
Published: October 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

As I previously mentioned, there are many small parks and a few squares all over the city of Guangzhou. I present to you Tuanyida Square, Haizhu Square/Park, the Huapin Xinfeng art exhibit, and scenes from the multiple small parks of Guangzhou (e.i.: Tian Zi Pier).



Tuanyida Square



Tuanyida Square (founded on May 5th, 1922) is not a massive area but a small and simple monument to the city and the nation. This purely red structure may look imposing but sit near the metro station that shares it’s name. The heavy concrete tiles are surrounded on three side by trees that give shade to people having lunch upon the back side of and the edge of the square this monument was built. Upon the front, the story of it’s creation and purpose is written while the back has relief etched images showing the story of the people it stands for. A very quiet place where the elder Chinese people would come to “Square Dance”.



Haizhu Square (and Park)



Haizhu Square is a perfect combination of the hard wide empty surfaces typical of a Square but also a very nice mixture of plants, flowers, and trees. Both aspect compliment each other in this large area across the road from the Pearl River Walkway. Multiple wide and smaller path wring around a through the park sections making it easier to take a quick walk around to clear your head. Many bench areas are placed among the trees to give a shaded place to sit or have a quick nap. It is also a good place to tie your cat or dog so they get time in the fresh air and a chance to exercise. The other aspect of this place is the lighting for the night time relaxation spot with some safety of still being in a well lit area. You can find exercise machine for anyone to use that are maintained by the staff of the Square. It may not compare in size to most of the parks I’ve shown you in Jinhua but it is still a wonderful gem within the older section of Guangzhou and worth the visit. With multiple metro entrances to the Haizhu Station below, it is easy to reach and within walking distance (my walking distance) to Shamian Street, the Sacred Heart Cathedral, and some of the smaller and quieter docks for the Pearl River Boat Tours.



Huapin Xinfeng art exhibit



This exhibit was being held in one of the more posh hotels of Guangzhou during my time there. The hotel lobby and lower floors are open to the public and have many wonderful sight in itself but it was turned into an open museum for this exhibit. The exhibit contained many art works of differing time period that were restore and displayed for this event. A wide variety of pieces were being presented ranging from ceremonial dividers, small statues, ornate furniture, and paintings. Follow this with indoor koi ponds, waterfalls, and an antique ship model to give you a wonderful rounded evening that is enjoyable and informative. This hotel is known for bringing these types of events to the city regularly with no cost to the visitors.



The Many Small Parks of Guangzhou



So much can be said about the mixture of small parks all over Guangzhou. Bordering small creeks, under the roads high above, on the walkway by the Pearl River, or even set as a small island that divides the traffic lanes. Every 100 meters or so you find a new small park with it’s one distinctive character and feel to it. These small islands of greenery may not be as quiet as the larger parks or squares you can find in the city but they have a quaint and simply beauty to each of them making them little hidden diamonds sprinkled across the cityscape. Some are marked with standing stones or plackets showing the name of that small but respected area. Some even have seats for people to take a rest before continuing there journey or to have lunch in nature before returning to the concrete world beyond. Unfortunately not all of these small parks are well lit which forces people to only visit during daylight hours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 149, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb