Guangzhou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
October 10th 2012
Published: October 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived on the 12 hour sleeper train from Guilin to the heat of Guangzhou at 9am. Instead of battling the metro system we got a 20 minute 30rmb taxi to our hotel. We decided to splash out on a hotel (as it was the same price as a hostel!) as it had free wi-fi and 'fitness equipment'. We unfortunately arrived at a very grotty hotel at the end of a filthy street right next to Guangzhou East Station. On asking for the wireless internet details the lady shouted at us "NO INTERNET". It was also clear that the nearest they had to fitness equipment was the two steps leading up to the hotel foyer. We were not impressed but the location was perfect, as we had to leave for Hong Kong early from the station on Friday morning.



We spent the first day wandering around the business district in the sunshine. It was a lot more modern and built up than we anticipated it to be. We stopped in the park to read our kindles and had a yummy coffee in Starbucks so that we could use the wi-fi. We took a walk in the evening to see all of the high rise buildings illuminated in multiicolour; it was a spectacular sight.



On our second day, we took the metro to Gongyuan Qian and took a walk around. We headed to Shamain Island which was previously leased to the French and British and the Chinese were forbidden to enter the island. We were careful when we headed back to the mainland not to cross into the Quinping Market, one of China's biggest and most famous markets. I couldn't cope with seeing chopped up animals and caged kittens again. We looked around the pedestrianised shopping streets and stumbled upon a giant screen showing Mr Bean?! Pretty random. We bought some noodles and Chinese rolls and sat in Guangzhou People's Park listening to the Chinese music and watching couples dancing.



We had an early night ready for our early morning train journey to Hong Kong! Only two more sleeps until my Muma joins us in HK!



Kayleigh

Xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb