Guangzhou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
January 24th 2009
Published: January 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Days 63-66 Guangzhou
We are in China baby 😊 the 2 hour train from Hong Kong to Guangzhou the 30 min metro train and 10 min walk to our hostel went rather smoothly and the room at our hostel is really nice as well so no problems getting here what so ever.

Day 1
Guangzhou according to the Internet does not have a lot to offer but Ceri and I have managed to plan our 3 days here with no time to spare. Today we went to Guangzhou Yue Xiu Park which is just a great big garden. The high light of this Garden is you get to see many locals doing things that me or you would just not do in a park like playing cards, some Chinese game, walking around singing and I don't just mean one or two people I mean quiet a few people are doing it, they also have table tennis tables and badmition courts here, it was really peaceful here in the morning but in the afternoon more and more people arrive which I think spoils it a bit.
In the afternoon we went to the Museum of nav-yue king we got a little lost on the way and a nice police officer escorted us half way to the museum which was really nice of him, we did ask a few locals but non of them understand English. The tomb of the Nav Yue King was discovered when they were going to build apartment blocks on it years ago. Museum and History are not really my thing but I did enjoy listening to things at the museum and found parts of it interesting.

Day 2
Today was Shamain Island. This place is not really an island as it is only meters from the main land and connected via bridges. There not really a lot I can say about the island but the locals hear seem to all get dressed up in wedding gear and have professional photos taken. No idea why they do this but there was at least 5-10 couples we saw dressed up in wedding dresses and suits and they did look really nice (well the girls did lol) I was going to take photos but thought it was a bit rude to ask.

Day 3
Today the plan was to head for white cloud mountain know by locals as Baiyan Mountain. We had been given directions my some guy in our hostel that turned out to get us rather lost. We wasted 2 hours in the morning before heading back to our hostel to look it up on the net, which then lead us to another adventure. We were meant to get bus 24 from Dongfeng Zhonglu which was a short metro ride away and takes 30-60 mins to get to the mountain. Anyway once on the bus that fits about 30 people but 50 seem to get on it and the driver seems to think he was Micheal Schumacher on a bad day we headed on our trip. After about an hour the bus stopped and everyone got off in the middle of nowhere and we had no idea why but we were told to get off. There seems to be a god in China though as just as I thought we were lost there was a girl that spoke English (which is rare in China) and she explained that another bus would be long shortly then would take us where we wanted to go. I got chatting to the girl and found out she has just finished uni, and wanted to be Manager in McDonald's. I think here a manger of McDonald's is a good job as its once of few places that I have seen which I would say are clean just like Pizza hut and KFC. I enjoyed talking to a local something I would like to do more of but it is hard with the language barrier to understand them. After 2 hours on the bus we finally arrived at White cloud mountain expecting a trek. It's not really a trek its more of a road that leads up to a big hill or mountain if you like and only took Ceri and I 35 mins to walk up. Once at the top you get a nice view of the city pollution it's so think that you can hardly see the city its self.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 27; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb