The Beginning


Advertisement
Asia » China » Gansu » Xiahe
January 11th 1949
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

For the Chinese and many East Asian countries, a month after a baby is born the child is one year old; the point where the child is considered viable, having gone through the highest risk periods of infant mortality with life beginning with conception. As I was conceived in China, I am beginning this story of my life's journeys with the marriage of my parents on January 11, 1949. My parents Willi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




30th December 2011

What a wonderful beginning :)
I've been reading so many of your great blogs Bob, but I have neglected to comment. So, now I will make amends. Love the pictures. Especially the one of the jeep stuck up in the mountains. Colour film must have been quite difficult to obtain back in 1949.
23rd January 2012

I'm hooked!
now I have to start from the beginning. I love these personal accounts, especially as they go back , way back, in time. I'm jealous you kept all those photographs --- and in good condition!
24th January 2012

Thanks!
I hope you enjoy my experiences growing up in Asia in he early years. I really was fortunate to have all these pictures. My Mom almost threw all my Dad's pictures out after he passed away in 1988, but I told her NO WAY! She moved to live with us in 2008 and still had the pictures. It took me until last year to get up the energy and time to digitize them...with the help of the photoshop at Walmart.
25th January 2012

How lovely!
now I feel compelled to search for old photos to scan. Love your posts!
28th May 2013

I've started so I'll continue...
A fascinating beginning and so good to know that you have managed to retain the family photos. One down, only 189 or so to go!
28th May 2013

I didn't have anything to do in 2011...
and I knew I had to do something with the thousands of slides and prints from my Dad in the garage, so I bit the bullet and digitized everything. Fortunately, I had Travelblog where I could post my memories and the pictures. Have fun reading!
3rd February 2014

Sooooo good to get this. Fabulous photos and info. Thanks for taking the time to capture this history.
31st May 2014

What a great way to capture your family history
Wow, Bob, I'm a genealogist but never thought of doing anything like this to record family history. What a great job. Thanks for sharing. Judy
29th April 2017

Amazing tale
The first time I have read your early posts. Excellent that your parents wrote such detailed letters. Having just returned from Tibet this is especially interesting.
29th April 2017

Early posts...
People keep asking me how I remembered my earlier trips, starting before birth! It's my parents letters, diaries, and stories they told when showing us slides (we didn't have TV in those early years). I was so fortunate to have these resources in putting together what is my legacy for my family, including my TB family. Last month was the first month that someone read everyone of my blogs. I learned at the reunion that it was Carolyn, my prom date, who took three full days of constant reading to read them all.
11th December 2017

Comment from Kay Houck Cummings:
A short time before the missionaries were to board the ship, The Steel Adder, heading to Vietnam and China, my Dad was helping load up the steel barrels that missionaries used to ship their household goods overseas back in the 40's. A barrel lipped and struck my Dad;s foot. The injury was so painful he couldn't even bare the weight of a sheet on it, so slept with his foot in a cardboard box, then covered with a sheet. The doctor gave him crutches to walk and said there was NO way he'd be sailing on the Steel Adder in a few days. My Dad believed that they were to go to Vietnam on that ship. In reading his Bible in the book of Psalms he read..."and thou shalt TREAD on the lion and the adder." He thought to himself tread doesn't mean limp on board with crutches, so he stepped out of bed and firmly put his injured foot down on the floor and was instantly healed. When they went to the doctor he commented that he was not a religious man, but there was no other explanation but that it was a MIRACLE!!! As you can see from the photo my parents and sister sailed to Vietnam on the Steel Adder in 1947! True story!
23rd November 2019
My Dad visits with his old Chinese congregant and family

All things Tibetan. Bob, from the spelling of your name, you are the son of William D. Carlsen, correct?
You may or may not know that I am working on a history of missions in and around Tibet, focusing on C&MA as well as other missions. I would love to talk with you some time. I love the photos and would like to use some of them for the book. You may have heard from Kristin Rollins about this project that I am working on. I finished last year the new biography of A. B. Simpson, "A. B. The Unlikely Founder of a Global Movement." Blessings, Dave Jones
23rd November 2019
My Dad visits with his old Chinese congregant and family

William D. Carlsen is my father.
I would like to talk with you. I live in Woodland Park CO. Are you nearby?
13th June 2020

WOW!
Great old photos...and great travels. I worked at Thammasat University until 2008 and loved South East Asia! My wife worked at Sarasas.
13th June 2020

Thanks for your comment...
it's good to hear from someone else who lived and loved Thailand.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb