Maiji Shan...the carved mountain the Cultural Revolution forgot


Advertisement
Asia » China » Gansu » TianShui
May 4th 2017
Published: May 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Travels with my Xiong di...Maiji Shan...the carved mountain the Cultural Revolution forgot. On a movie set...one is captured by two dimensional landscapes, urbanity or whatever from past or present on picture boards...setting the scenes the camera dwells on to carry you away with the script. But when one looks behind the picture boards there is a different world. China to me is like that...the ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

























4th May 2017

Amazing!!!
That's a lot of steps to climb! I'm glad you were able to sneak some pictures for our benefit.
5th May 2017

Amazing!!!
Thanks Bob...gets quite high up there! Still wonder how they built the 194 grottoes as they are cut into a cliff face. Yep...at least I got some pics!
5th May 2017

Beautiful
What a place!.
5th May 2017

Beautiful
Thanks for commenting Jools. As I only got minimal pics up around the grottoes I hope one's imagination can guess being there was beyond beautiful.
5th May 2017

Lovely!
A good story telling about Maiji Shan embedded with historical facts. I am still itching to know what happened in the police station when Robin punched! I liked the humors part when you took snaps with the same guys you saved from tearing each other apart. Will wait for the next part to read
5th May 2017

Lovely!
There is a saying in Oz Tab, "What happens on tour stays on tour" for those moments that should be kept to oneself e.g. spats on a football field or in the heat of battle. We all have such moments or curve ball surprises when travelling. The punch up at the police station is one of those. The adventure continues with never a dull moment. The next blog may be a Travelblog first.
5th May 2017

Off the beaten tracks
Wow! This seems to be a place really off the beaten tracks with lots of interesting stuff to see. And how brave of you to intervene when the two guys were fighting.
5th May 2017

Off the beaten tracks
The bravery was going to China with the sole reason that Robin could drive me to Maiji Shan that neither of us had visited. Intervening in a fight when I have never punched anyone in my life is one of those things one does and afterwards one wonders why. Spontaneous compulsion can be either rewarding or disastrous when travelling, Katha. Sometimes ya gotta step in with confidence and take a photo no matter how it turns out!!!
5th May 2017

China history
Hey Dave, it was great to read your blog about China's history. I also believe that Gansu is a very beautiful province. Next time I go back to China I would like to visit this place.
5th May 2017

China history
I have to admit I'm a bit of a Sinophile, Marcos. The more I travel in China the more it fascinates me. I think you know what I mean considering your own travels.There are so many treasures that one never hears of unless one stumbles upon them. My next blog is one of them.
7th May 2017

...nagging itch to remove...the holder at my groin.
...nagging itch to remove...the holder at my groin... soooo pleased I re-read that sentence again with accuracy! I'm sorry we missed Gansu on the first attempt- my loss your gain, great account dancing one.
7th May 2017

...nagging itch to remove...the holder at my groin.
About time I told what you missed out my love. Always better when one reads my blogs as well as listening to the music and viewing the pics!
8th May 2017

back in Gansu!
Great photos, Dave! It's been a long time... I remember us talking about Gansu 3 years ago when I was cycling through this mystreious Chinese Province. glad to see you went back. I should be in Beijing around mid June. How long are you staying?
9th May 2017

back in Gansu!
In spirit only Jeremy. At last i'm telling the story of my life changing journey to Maiji Shan...after all how often do you end up with a Chinese brother in word and deed?
8th May 2017

Great photos
Glad to see you're back in mysterious Gansu. Enjoy! Will you still be in China in June?
9th May 2017

Great photos
Glad you checked it out Jeremy. Hope the music in this and my last two blog took you back to Gansu...to your road through this mysterious province. In June we'll be heading to New Zealand to see the fabulous Cream in concert with Jo Trouble. Give us a wave from Beijing...we'll be the ones in the front row bopping away!
12th May 2017

Folklore
I wonder if the next edition of that black and white book on China will include The Legend of Lao Ge. Loved the stories and great to see you got the shots!
12th May 2017

Folklore
Amazing what leads one to travel to where we travel Jo...amazing what dreams can actually come true if one puts one's mind to it. But one's own story...mmm...think for mine I've probably gotta write it. To be continued...!!!
14th May 2017

Daring Dave
New title for you... I don't suppose I will ever get to China and anayway would never be able to venture to that place ..... looks amazing!
15th May 2017

Daring Dave
As there is the old saying "He who dares wins", I like my new name! Thanks Lynne.
16th May 2017

Looks like a place I'd love to visit
Just like you I have been to Dazu and I loved that. Many years ago I visited Yungang Grottoes in Datong and they were great too. It looks like Maji Shan is just as good as those other are. /Ake
17th May 2017

Looks like a place I'd love to visit
You have been to Dazu and Yungang, Ake...sounds like you can empathise with my passion for carved grottoes. Maiji Shan is less known but uniquely spectacular. Guarantee you'd love it. Next blog another grotto site only discovered by local knowledge...the playground of the immortals!
19th May 2017

A province like no other
As always your photos are amazing. Finding those lost and forgotten hidden gems is what traveling is all about. The world is full of harsh stories. And-- why is all the really cool stuff up hundreds of steps. Eager for more.
19th May 2017

A province like no other
Thanks for your beautifully penned comment MJ. Hidden gems, harsh stories, cool stuff...could not agree more.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb