Don't go to Lanzhou if you don't have to!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Gansu » Lanzhou
June 15th 2009
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lanzhou may be the worst place I've ever been to... I don't recommend it. We took the train back this morning from Xining, and tonight we are taking an overnight train to Jiayuguan, so we had no hotel today, and just had to check our bags at the train station for a day in Lanzhou.

THERE is NOTHING to do in Lanzhou!!! We hung out at a little restaurant as long as possible eating niu rou mian (the only good thing about this city), and then headed to a park, where I gave Witt his first Chinese lesson, and enjoyed some tea. The park was generally pretty nice, with lots of people playing cards, and singing traditional Chinese opera. We were there for a while, but then a creepy man started to become a little too friendly... and decided to follow us around the park, making very inappropriate faces at both Witt and me... it seemed harmless enough until he followed us out of the park and onto the street. By this time, we were a little freaked out, so we caught a taxi back to the train station.

Unfortunately, it was only about 6pm, and our train doesn't leave until 10pm! So we sat in KFC, had a little western dinner, and then came to the internet cafe, where we've been sitting for the last two hours, just trying to pass the time before we go back to the train station.

I'm normally the type of person who can find things to do wherever I am... but really... Lanzhou wins as the most boring place in China... nothing to do for tourists... creepy stalkers... and pollution to boot! Blah...

Thank goodness we are leaving tonight for Jiayuguan, which I hope will be a better experience!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb