Desert Camp and JIA YU Guan


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Gansu » Jiayuguan
June 14th 2014
Published: June 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

DESERT CAMP: 13 June 2014. 127kms distance.

Today was my second day in the vehicle. Ok but you certainly experience China more when on the bike.

The scenery changed from lush vegetation to desert terrain within 20 Kms. Dramatic change. When arrived at camp site it literally felt like desolation. But as the morning passed, it's beauty grew on me. Vast emptiness. Then the wind, cold and rain arrived, the temperature dropping 15C within 15 minutes. Very cold. 2 hrs later it cleared and the mountain range with snow caps appeared briefly before being hidden behind cloud again.

The cyclists began arriving talking tales of woe about rain, headwinds, and cold. A little tent city grew, looking interesting. A subdued afternoon largely spent in the tent because of coolness. Prior to dinner, wind abated and we all sat around and chatted. Beef stew and veg for dinner. Bread pudding for desert. Tasty meal on a cool day.

The mountains became clearer as the evening progressed. Hopefully a clear morning view.



JIA YU GUAN:



A disrupted night sleep, mainly due to camping on the side of a highway. The number of heavy transport travelling in the evening was astounding and all needed to air brake and rumble past need our camping area.

A blue sky greeted us and the air was clear as were the mountains which shimmered in the sunshine, all snow capped looking picturesque. Again rode the truck. Slowly recovering. Have calculated that to ride 12,000 Kms I can only sit in truck for 3 more days. Hopefully that will be enough. Also it's a little boring , even though we travel the cycle route.

JIA YU GUAN is the end or the start of the Great Wall. Once leaving its protection we are entering BARBARIAN country. Here there is a fort built by the Ming dynasty. Very impressive. A UNESCO site. Not over renovated, which seems to be the general habit in China. Afterwards went to the Overhanging Wall. Not sure of reason for name, but it was very impressive. Climbed about 1000 steps. Maybe it's good I'm not riding tomorrow.

Very tired.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



14th June 2014

Great to see some photos!! Campsite definitely looks as though it was in the middle of no where - can't believe how cold it has been getting! Hope you are a feeling better - don't push yourself with the riding though!! xx

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb