Our visit to Xiamen, Fujian, China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Fujian » Xiamen
December 1st 2006
Published: December 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Chung San RoadChung San RoadChung San Road

Chung San Road, very clean, lots to eat and shop.

On Nov 28, 2006, we left Yong Ding and took the bus to Xiamen. The bus trip took 4 hours, and a lot of Chinese smoked on the bus.

Note: Some Chinese long distances buses do not allow smoking, especially the ones departing/arriving to Shenzhen.

After we arrived in Xiamen, we were dropped off at the ChungPak bus station, which is quite a way away from the tourist area.

We approached a travel agent to see if we can arrange a guesthouse. They will only referred us to a guesthouse if we joined their tour, which we declined. Another tout approached us and offered us the same tour, but throw in a free night stay, plus free transport to the guesthouse. So, we accepted.

We were driven in a minivan to the guesthouse, near Chung San road, very near the ferry landing to GulongYu island. The guesthouse is clean, with a bathroom inside, plus hotwater.

After we unpacked, we quickly went to grab a bite to eat. We found out the Chung San road is blocked off to traffic from 8 am to midnight, and there are many stores and eateries. It is a nice
night view of GuLongYunight view of GuLongYunight view of GuLongYu

at the end of Chung San Road is the shoreline overseeing GuLongYu. The island is all lighted up to showoff its nightview across the harbour.
walk along this commercial street.

The second day, early in the morning, our tour guide came to pick us up. We visited a temple (South Pu Tor Zhi), near Xiamen university. Then we attended a "tea sampling session", which is a sales session. We found that the same tea, if offered to Hong Kong, will have prices quoted at 2.5 times. Since this tour is for Chinese nationals, they offered slightly more reasonable prices.

Then the tour guide offered an "extra activity" of a "round the island ferry ride", which we declined. The tour guide, in a polite and round about way, told to do the tour on our own for the rest of the day. We do not mind.

We took the ferry to Gulongyu Island and walked around the island (about 8.5 KM). We like the island very much, it is comparatively flat and has nice views. We stayed on the island until 7:30 pm and watched Xiamen's skyline from the island.

On the third day, we took the local buses and toured Xiamen. We went to the Xiamen Conference center, which is beautifully built, along the seashore. We also got to view the
GuLongYuGuLongYuGuLongYu

The "round the island" road is built lavishly, attracted visitors local and afar
shore line, as the bus used the 'round the island" road.

In the late afternoon, we took the local bus to the airport.

At around 9:30 pm, our flight (air asia) flew to Bangkok. For those who are not familiar with Air Asia, it is an extremely cheapo flight, with no seat assignments. However, the plane has beautiful (non-reclinable) leather seats, and good looking stewardess.

We find Xiamen a pretty nice city, with comparatively clean air and clean streets. It is pretty vibrant, with lots of construction.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

skyline of Xiamenskyline of Xiamen
skyline of Xiamen

The Nightline of Xiamen is just as beautiful as seen from GuLongYu Island.
Conference CenterConference Center
Conference Center

Coference center of Xiamen
Round the Island roadRound the Island road
Round the Island road

Xiamen itself is much bigger island than GuLongYu. Its own "round the island" road is also quite impressive.
time to gotime to go
time to go

Time to leave, walking to the bus terminal through Chung San Road


3rd December 2006

Sounds like a nice time.
Half the fun of traveling is discovering new things. Seems that your life has turned into one adventure after another. Have a great time, and enjoy what life offers. Especially the great food.
4th December 2006

a treat
It's always a treat to hear about your travels. Thank you for including me in your current adventure stories. Happy travels!! Camila

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb