Xiamen


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Fujian » Xiamen » Jimei
February 27th 2008
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I've arrived safely in Xiamen! The train journey wasn't as bad as I had expected and to be honest it passed pretty quickly!

I actually met a couple of Chinese guys before I even got on the train who worked in Xiamen so they were able to give me the low down on the place! They were desperate to practice their English as I was also keen to practice my Chinese!

The living conditions on the train were pretty cramped and it was very very loud at night! Obviously I was sleeping directly opposite an older man who snored through the night!

They warned me about the dangers of travelling alone in China and that I should be very careful if I go to Guangzhou. They did however follow this with a "but its okay you are very STRONG" I've lived in China long enough to know that "strong" in Chinese is another word to say you are a little on the fat side!

I didn't have any trouble finding the hostel and was pleased to find because it's the low season that I actually have a whole four bed dorm to myself and this seems to be the case tonight too!

Today (Wednesday) I managed go to the train station and buy my ticket onto my next destination, the dangerous Guangzhou!!!!!!! I was pretty impressed I managed to do this as the train station was complete madness, a real case of every man for himself! But I pushed where I had to, stood my ground where I had to and managed through my limited Mandarin to buy the ticket I needed! A pat on the back for me!

The rest of the day was spent visiting a local temple, the name has already escaped me and onto the beautiful and peaceful Xiamen University. After that I hit the small yet lovely beach!

Well I seem to have been on my feet for what seems 12 or so hours so I'm off for a well earned rest!

Until later.......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb