Yangtzee - a slow day at last


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Chongqing » Wushan
April 13th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 31.4099, 109.676

I am sure you have the rhythm of the days by now...eat, tour, eat, tour, eat.....all interspersed with a little drinking and a lot of walking.

Time for a break...not from the eating and drinking though....just from the touring and the walking.

We decided early that we would only do the one tour today and have some rest in the afternoon. After 8 days of travel with the itinerary loaded from 7 am till 10.30 pm we gave ourselves the afternoon off.

The morning tour was a ride in a small gondola-like fleet into the Wu Gorge. This idyllic transport barge ferried us at a leisurely pace for an hour into the gorge. The water was crystal clear and a deep jade green and the tributary snaked its way through the sheer gorge cliffs which towered above us at around the 700 metre mark. Not a gradual rolling rise - rather a sheer cave-pocked line of stone cliffs.

George (Mac was his immediate friend by naming him "gorgeous George) our river guide enthralled his captive audience with stories of change for the local people. The water level in this gorge has risen by 70 metres and farmers and families have been relocated to the neighbouring town of Wuhan. George's parents still live on the slopes of the gorge but their lifestyle has changed and the "boat trackers" who man-handled the boats up the narrow rapids of the gorge have disappeared along with the shallow pools for swimming and fishing ponds of George's youth.

George was an English language teacher in his former life - but has left his class of 60 middle schoolers behind to become a river guide and to publish a book. There was no way our photos could begin to do this place justice so we bought our second book of the tour - a photo book co-authored by George, that captures the majesty of the region across four contrasting seasons. We had it signed by George - and once again had our photo taken with the author.

Mac was building his reputation as "the naughty Australian". I can't believe that the 'I get motionsick when I even think of a boat" person was the ring leader in jumping from side to side in the boat to start it rocking! Mac and the "other kids" loved it! And they were high-fiving the passengers in the other boats as they pulled along side. Mmm, not my hero today!

Any trip off the ship involves running the gauntlet of the "bargain alley". Persistent, aggressive and noisy merchants are pedalling their wares as you walk off the cruise ship to the next means of transport. Beer, wine, spirits, local produce and food, duck eggs, goose eggs, pigs noses, duck heads, fish on a stick, kites, playing cards, books, silk embroidery, nude pics of Asian girls, T-shirts, cigarette lighters, noodles, tea and toys are all intermingled in a cacophony of strident voices. The only discernible phrase is "Maybe later" and the only method of defence is a determined commitment to moving forward in a straight line. Deviate and show interest - and you are "gone".

Another buffet for lunch which was as usual fabulous but I did want a coffee and we were all out on our side of the dining room. I moseyed over to the Malay group and think I have found my "naughty" soul mates. The ladies had separated themselves from their menfolk and were a group of 10 huddled around a single table. They were plotting and scheming against their men and were hooting with laughter as they devised new ways of defying their husbands. These ladies could fill the void of my absent Fab5. We laughed and cried our way through the next 90 minutes exchanging stories and dances. After teaching me a traditional scarf dance they asked me to demonstrate a cultural dance from Australia. Not to be outdone I showed them the very popular kangaroo hop and the pole dancing koala dance (complete with the marble pole of the dining room). That was the end of all sanity in the dining room. Chaos erupted and I was officially adopted! What a hoot! And all because of a cup of coffee.

Mac and I excused ourselves from the afternoon tour and made a beeline for our super spa! What a treat. What a wonderful afternoon that included a very welcomed "nanny nap" on our private balcony followed by a little bit of crocheting. Ditto for Mac, with the exception of the crocheting although he did volunteer to "do a sleeve" (thanks, but no thanks).

Our batteries were charged for the evening cabaret performed by the staff. Coco, Justin and Jason - our personal little staff troop - joined the other crew members to cobble together a brave series of acts. Questionable talent but certainly full marks for having a go. We rounded out the evening with a bit of lively traditional dancing with the crew and our new Malaysian tour group.

And the night ended just before the clock strikes 12 ...again.

Pedometer Reading: 5 402
Temperature: 22 C

Advertisement



15th April 2014

Okay, I have to see those dances on your return...kangaroo hop and the pole dancing koala dance !!! The visions in my mind I am sure aren't doing your dance justice.
16th April 2014

And I most definitely want to be front row centre, to witness this amazing spectacle!!!!!!!...xoxoxoxoxo

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb