Our journey to the west has begun


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Chongqing » Chongqing
July 6th 2011
Published: July 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

So our journey to South-West China has begun and our first stop is here in Chongqing and another ex-capital of China ticked off the list. We can't have many left to visit!

We left Shaoyang Monday luchtime on a sleeper coach. First time we've travelled on one of those. It was more comfortable than a normal coach although the bunk was Chinese size ie small. A 13 hour journey from Shaoyang to Chongqing. The first of many bus trips to come.

We've enjoyed our short stay here. Well I say we, Dany had to spend a day in bed yesterday with a dodgy stomach.

Yesterday flying solo I went to Ciqikou Ancient Town. It was OK but very touristy with the buildings down the main drag being heavily restored and all the shops selling nothing but souveniers. Although down some of the backstreets I found some original wooden buildings. I only spent the morning there because the heat here is incredible. It was touching 38 degrees yesterday and at around 1 o'clock it starts to get to oppresive especially with the added humidity. I can see why this city is called one of the furnaces of China!

Today with Dany feeling better we went to Huguang Guild Hall, which is very interesting with some beautiful buildings, and to the Luoshan Temple, which at the minute is undergoing some serious restoration work scaffolding everywhere. Then to finish the morning off we went for a ride on the Yangtze River Cable Car, which was cool and it gives you a chance to see the city from another angle.

So off to Chengdu tomorrow. We do have a lack of photos because our camera has gone on the blink but hopefully we'll resolve all that for Chengdu.

Enjoy the photos and Jah Bless


Additional photos below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



9th July 2011

bloomin happy people
nen, it must be so exciting for you both with the vast amount of places & historical information that you must see, you lucky people! im going to be looking from a hospital bed again on wednesday for yet another operation on my ever deteriorating spine! take care & be lucky rascal is grinning! kirsty sends her love & best wishes xxxxx later M

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb