The Hometown of the Waterfall


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Chongqing » Chongqing
March 31st 2020
Published: March 31st 2020
Edit Blog Post

Simian Mountain offers a landscape incredibly unique within China – it is home to numerous breath-taking waterfalls. Wangxiangtai Waterfall is arguably the most spectacular of all waterfalls on Simian Mountain. It stands 152 meters high and 37.7 meters wide. Some people say that Wangxiangtai is God’s masterpiece and is a must-see travel destination.

The Couple Tree

Going up the escalator from Wangxiangtai parking lot, I walked under the Couple Tree which is a hard, broad-leaved evergreen tree. This leafy tree is dense and is used as a spot where tourists can cool off during the hot summer months. When viewed from the front, the tree reveals two trunks, one large and one small. From the bottom of the tree, the trunks look intertwined, but at the top, they branch off into two trees. From the side view, the Couple Tree has soft curves, much like the physique of a woman. Because these two trunks are inseparable, the locals have come to regard them as “the two lovers: the old man and his young wife”, hence the tree’s namesake.

Xiaoyao Cave

Hidden in the dense woods behind Wangxiangtai parking lot is the natural wonder Xiaoyao Cave. The cave is horn-shaped, about 50 meters wide, 15 meters high, and 40 meters deep. It is divided into two layers, covering an area of nearly 20 acres. It is an ideal spot for camping.

There is a wondrous legend behind Xiaoyao Cave. It was said that once there were two immortals who were inseparable living on Penglai Fairy Mountain in the East China Sea. Once, after going to the Queen's Peach Blossom Ceremony, they were immediately awestruck by the magnificent scenery of Wangxiangtai Waterfall. But in order to prevent mortals from discovering them here, they dug out a resting place on the stone wall opposite of Wangxiangtai. After the immortals left, the cave remained, and later was named Xiaoyao Cave, meaning ‘carefree’ in Chinese.

The Peak of Wangxiantai

After passing through the tunnel of Tongtian Cave, I came to the top of Wangxiangtai Waterfall. The current in front of me was gushing and surging. The sound of the water was thunderous and commanding. It is amazing how small we are in the presence of nature. Standing on top of the Waterfall, you are surrounded by mountains. The waterfall looks especially spectacular overlooking the rocks. Rising water vapor creates a rainbow visible when rays of sunlight hit.

According to legend, when people die, they must go to Wangxiangtai to look at their hometown, reflect on the people and memories they most cherish, and then walk across the Naihe Bridge, drink the Mengpo water in the underworld, and finally, forget all of the troubles and sorrows on Earth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb