We made it!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
July 31st 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After an epic plane journey, we arrived in our Beijing hotel last night, a mere 21 hours late. First flight to KL was great, kids were awesome. Boarded next flight on time only to find out our $75pp business class wait list upgrade has been successful... yay! It wasn't until some time later we'd realise just how much of a blessing this was to be!
So 10 mins after we were supposed to land in Beijing, the Captain says we've been diverted to Shanghai due to bad weather. 2 hours later, having not left the plane, yay for business class, we're back in the air on our way to Beijing. We snuggle under our doonas and relax on our flatbeds for the journey to Beijing. Time passes and I'm thinking...surely we're here by now but feel the familiar circling the sky moves only to find out were 18 minutes away from landing at Shanghai, again. Grrrr.

To cut a VERY long story short...we were taken to a random hotel somewhere a million km from the airport to eat and freshen up then back to the airport for Beijing take 3. On the upside...had to look hard for one at this point...we got a lovely tour of the sprawling and extremely densely populated city. High rise apartments as far as the eye could see in every direction. Crazy!

Back at the airport, we chat to fellow passengers who give us their theories on the Beijing "weather". Fortunately, our bus class recliners were waiting for us and off we went...again. 2 hours later...Sara and I burst into song "Everything is awesome" and shouts of hooray from the crazy Aussies in bus class are heard from the rear of the plane. We made it at last!

We exit the airport, find a cab within minutes, then spend the next 5 minutes answering the repeatedly asked question... "but where are the seatbelts?". Finally we check in and collapse into bed. A mere 6 hours later, I'm awake and ready to go. As I type this, the 3 of them are snoring away and I bid my time until we can get out and explore this...hmm... fascinating place!

Til next time, stay safe, as I hope we do! The kids have been amazing and have taken the mayhem in their stride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb