#91 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Empress Dowager CiXi's Summer Palace in Beijing)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing
January 10th 2008
Published: January 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One of Beijing's greatest and most beautiful historical attractions is the SUMMER PALACE, a short distance outside of China's Capitol. No photos can capture the vastness, beauty, and serenety of this idyllic summer hide-away for China's last royal dynasty. Though the construction and expansion of this unique World Heritage Site had been underway for hundreds of years, it would be the Empress Dow... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Stupa on top of Longevity HillStupa on top of Longevity Hill
Stupa on top of Longevity Hill

Stupas usually stand alone, as seen here, and are intended to house a religious relic.
14,000 scenic paintings grace the beams of the 2,388-ft. walkway 14,000 scenic paintings grace the beams of the 2,388-ft. walkway
14,000 scenic paintings grace the beams of the 2,388-ft. walkway

This is one of the thousands of small paintings that grace a covered walkway surrounding the front of Longevity Hill.
Chinese entertain each other along the walkway.Chinese entertain each other along the walkway.
Chinese entertain each other along the walkway.

With native instruments and unique traditional songs, elderly Chinese meet daily along the walkway.
The elderly artists seem not to notice the enchanted visitor. The elderly artists seem not to notice the enchanted visitor.
The elderly artists seem not to notice the enchanted visitor.

The sound of the songs resemble those of Beijing Opera.
The "Erhu" instrument.The "Erhu" instrument.
The "Erhu" instrument.

The Erhu is a traditional two-string Chinese violin, that produces a melancholy sound so familiar to us in the West.
Fields of Lotus surround the back-side of Longevity Hill.Fields of Lotus surround the back-side of Longevity Hill.
Fields of Lotus surround the back-side of Longevity Hill.

Fields of Lotus plants in full bloom make the walking one of great pleasure, especially since few visitors seem to venture to this side of the hill. Tree pollen makes the water a bright green.
A solitary duck among the Lotus.A solitary duck among the Lotus.
A solitary duck among the Lotus.

A lone duck find its way through the fields of Lotus on the back side of the Summer Palace.
The view toward Suzhou StreetThe view toward Suzhou Street
The view toward Suzhou Street

Beyond a sea of Lotus, the buildings of Suzhou Street come into view, originally built for the Qianlong emperor as recreation.
Suzhou Street lines a canal along the back side of the Summer Palace.Suzhou Street lines a canal along the back side of the Summer Palace.
Suzhou Street lines a canal along the back side of the Summer Palace.

Suzhou Street is a row of recreated historical commercial buildings. Here the emperor, his concubines and eunuchs would play the common man, acting out the roles of shoppers, shopkeepers, and pickpockets. The staff today is still dressed in Qing-era costume.
Hardly a visitor in sight.Hardly a visitor in sight.
Hardly a visitor in sight.

During the hot summer days, walks along the rivers and parks of the backside of the Summer Palace provide shade and calm the spirit.
The beauty of the Lotus flower.The beauty of the Lotus flower.
The beauty of the Lotus flower.

The distinctive flower of the Lotus plant has been celebrated throughout China's long history, and provides not only pleasure, but is featured in medicine and food. Its shape is featured in paintings, monuments, and decorations of clothing.
Another soothing view.Another soothing view.
Another soothing view.

It is easy to see, why the parks of the Summer Palace make for great recreational strolling.
Visitors will marvel at the Summer Palace.Visitors will marvel at the Summer Palace.
Visitors will marvel at the Summer Palace.

On departure of the Summer Palace, one last look back at one of Beijing's great historical sites. The palace grounds have been arranged as a microcosm of nature, its hills and water creating a natural composition.
I hope you enjoyed this short visit to the Summer Palace outside of Beijing.I hope you enjoyed this short visit to the Summer Palace outside of Beijing.
I hope you enjoyed this short visit to the Summer Palace outside of Beijing.

A spring time visit to these Palace grounds will give me the opportunity to explore further these sprawling grounds of the Summer Palace, the summer retreat for the Qing Dynasty.
#1 "Daddy, how do I get back?"#1 "Daddy, how do I get back?"
#1 "Daddy, how do I get back?"

The next three photos made a few of us visiting the Summer Palace smile. We all made ready to help this scared youngster, who dared a little too much.
#2  "Daddy, I think I see an aligator! Help!"#2  "Daddy, I think I see an aligator! Help!"
#2 "Daddy, I think I see an aligator! Help!"

I think I saw a few scrapes on the tummy of the boy, as his dad guided him to safety.
#3 "Let's go home, Daddy."#3 "Let's go home, Daddy."
#3 "Let's go home, Daddy."

Enough excitement for one day, and a visit to remember for a life-time for this young boy.



8th January 2008

an amazing place!
I only saw it in winter, in 99, and it was quite impressive then, but your photos demonstrate its special summer magic. The long painted walkway was one of my favorite spots. Hope you are well and received my most recent letter. Thanks for these photo treasures!
10th January 2008

:)
The Marble boat is beautiful.
11th January 2008

Schneider how are you its me Ms.Polo I have missed you sooo much and i haven't been keeping up but now that i have more time im sure to read your blog and mr. you are loosing weight come back to florida! Love you kathy Polo
23rd January 2011
"Marble" boat in the Summer Palace of Beijing

Query
Has the marble boat ever appeared in a movie?

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 16; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb