#15 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College-Backpacking in Beijing - Streetlife


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing
July 2nd 2006
Published: October 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This week I decided to take a quick trip to Beijing before I start out on my “Great Southern Adventure” into Guanxi, Guizhou and of course, Yunnan. An additional reason to go now is to avoid the huge summer crowds and the oppressive summer heat that arrive in July and August. Beijing is an easy 13hr train ride that leaves Taizhou Railway Station at about 6.30pm at night and arrives in Beijing... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Giant DrumGiant Drum
Giant Drum

Purportedly the biggest drum in the world.
Pedicabs at Bell TowerPedicabs at Bell Tower
Pedicabs at Bell Tower

The ever present pedicabs offering scenic trips around the city's tourist sights, particularly the hutongs. Be warned they are very insistent and ridiculously expensive. Most of them have very little English, so you won't glean much useful information from them if you don't speak Mandarin. As with any tourist attraction anywhere in the world, scams abound, so approach with caution!
Bell Tower- The Old Amongst the NewBell Tower- The Old Amongst the New
Bell Tower- The Old Amongst the New

View of the Bell Tower from the Drum Tower. This structure was built in 1747 after the previous building was burnt down.
Iron BellIron Bell
Iron Bell

The beginning of each day was once sounded by the ringing of this bell at 7am. As the city grew, a larger bronze bell was installed as this bell was considered too quiet! Unfortunately, the bronze bell has since disappeared. The remaining iron bell is now only rung once a year at Spring Festival time to signal the Chinese New Year.
Paper CuttingPaper Cutting
Paper Cutting

9th descendant of a paper cutting aristocratic family , Wu guo xuan doing what he does best. This man was a classic, I had a wonderful half hour being entertained by this man and negotiating a price on some beautiful paper cuts. No doubt I paid too much, but who cares?
Snack TimeSnack Time
Snack Time

It's early evening and snack time in the night market.
Kwai hoongKwai hoong
Kwai hoong

Meet my new friend Kwai hoong from Kuala Lumpur. I met Kwai hoong when we struck up a conversation in the Drum Tower.
Toffee ArtToffee Art
Toffee Art

Using methods similar to glass blowing, this fellow creates toffee animals that are popular with the passing children. Not sure I'd like to eat it afterwards though!
Passby BarPassby Bar
Passby Bar

A popular local cafe/bar nearby. The owner is an avid adventurer and organizes bike expeditions to some of the most challenging places on this earth.
Last SupperLast Supper
Last Supper

The inside of Pass By Bar. Kwai hoong and I enjoyed the tasteful decor and the yummy "Western Style" cuisine. Unfortunately she was to return to Kuala Lumpur the next day.
Painful ReminderPainful Reminder
Painful Reminder

A rather horrific reminder of the "bad old days" when Chinese women's feet were bound so as to make a woman more desirable, marriageable, and to give her (and her family) higher social status. Foot binding not only crippled the women who went through the process but also crippled women in China for centuries. Being crippled by foot binding meant they had such a small role in government. It was a custom that started out to define beauty but ended up defining the way the society was. Amazing to think that this centuries old practice only came to an end around 1911!
Fancy Yourself As One of the Mongol Horde?Fancy Yourself As One of the Mongol Horde?
Fancy Yourself As One of the Mongol Horde?

Everything any self respecting Mongol soldier could desire!
Arty FartyArty Farty
Arty Farty

Gentrified shopping area of Liulichang(meaning "glazed tile factory")is accessed through the maze of hutongs west of Tiananmen Square. It was restored in the 1980's to it's original style and is home to all sorts of "antiques" and kitsch curios, but also some great shops with old books and art and calligraphy supplies. It derives it's name from a number of kilns that used to operate in the area during the Ming Dynasty. They provided the masses of glazed tiles that were required for the palaces and halls being built in the Imperial Palace.



16th October 2006

Aussies in Thailand
Well Tread, its the 17th oct.2006 and most of the Gold Coast hashers will be over in Thailand...Bummer!! This following Wed run is on the Indy Track.But no one will be there ! I came back to hash after a short spell and what happens they all leave ..Is it me or :-( or do they just want to catch up with You :-) Have a great catch up with everyone elose mate..Di

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb