Houhai and Jingshan Park


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
April 7th 2011
Published: April 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

In true British style, our days have been started by checking the weather forecast and we were again pleasantly surprised by the warmth in Beijing today. Venturing off on our first proper day without our great leader (poor Ian was back at school again yesterday) our plan was to head to Houhai and take a rickshaw ride around the lake and hutongs. It was a perfect trip for Mum as it involved mostly sitting down! Mum and Sophie went in one, and William and I in the other. We stopped a couple of times as the men wanted us to go and spend money....once down a small shopping alley and then to go inside a courtyard house. This was really interesting to see inside where the families live and to learn a bit about the Feng Shui involved.

After about an hour, we got out and went in search of some lunch. Interestingly, considering it was such a touristy area, there weren't many favourable choices! We settled on a cafe which was ok, but most importantly was a sit down with a warm drink! Recharged, we wandered alongside the lake and managed to flag down a passing taxi to take us onto our next destination. We changed our mind on this 3 times, eventually settling for Jingshan Park, and were very pleased by our decision. It was a beautiful park where we climbed up to the top of the pagoda (leaving Nanny behind for a rest) to get a superb view of the Forbidden City. The photos say it all.....

After the park, we headed to the Silk Street, which had been recommended by our friend Zenobia. This turned out to be just another 4 storey market which was heaving and hot, so we didn't stay long. By this time, we were ready for an early dinner and found a lovely little Italian place which really catered for the children as well as the adults. We were home by 6.30pm and have been able to soak the children in the bath for a while to try and get them clean. Beijing is extremely dusty and dirty, as well as drying on the skin. Both the children are suffering with sore eyes, but we came prepared luckily, and everyone is having to lather their skin with moisturiser. I remember hearing about it being dry here, and am suddenly pleased by
Having a lie down!Having a lie down!Having a lie down!

In the courtyard house, this would have been the master bedroom.
the humidity of Shanghai!

Last day tomorrow....where shall we go......


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Leaving Nanny behind for a rest!Leaving Nanny behind for a rest!
Leaving Nanny behind for a rest!

In Jingshan Park, you can climb to the top of the Pagoda and have a great view of the whole of the Forbidden City.


Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb