THE GREAT WALL of CHINA


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
May 11th 2006
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

What a Wall



The Great Wall of China is a destination not to be missed.

Went to the magnificant wall twice. One was the Ba Da Ling Wall. This is a well renovated tourist attraction. Most Tour groups and tourists will make their way there to view the Great Wall. This part of the wall is the nearest to Beijing, but due to the crowd, it's a little too commercial to really feel the granduer of this wall....

To really experience the wildness of the wall, you can make your way to the magnificant Huang Hua Wall. This part of the wall is slowly being repaired but as there is no commercial activities around it, it has retain it's old world charm of wildness and wide space.

Standing on the wall, you felt like you were transported back to the past. It's really amazing how the ancient people built this wall. The sheer height and thickness of the wall itself is amazing, not withstanding the fact that the walls were built on mountain tops and ridges. It's just simply amazing and put you in awe.

I made the trip to the Huang Hua wall in Sept
Apples applesApples applesApples apples

As we hiked to the base of the wall, we passed by Apple orchard
2005. I spent a month in Beijing for work and managed to sneak in a side trip to explore and take in the splendidness of the wall.

My friend, Malcolm who works in Beijing, brought both Ade and myself to this part of the wall.
Ade and myself were both ill equiped for the climb ahead of us. ( She came in slippers and we were both carrying Tai Tai bag). I am afraid of heights and the wall is so freaking high.

But we perserve on and climb up to one of the peak ( amid much tears from me and sweat)...and I must say the view up there is so breath taking, no words can describe how I felt. Only by making the trip there oneself, can one feels the beauty of the view ahead.

The uniqueness of this trip is not just the wall. It's the whole journey itself.

This part of the wall is named "Huang Hua Wall' because it's built in the village of Huang Hua.
It's a small little village. Very rustic. We started our hike to the base of the wall behind the yard of a small restuarant we
The base of the wallThe base of the wallThe base of the wall

Our Tai Tai clothes and bag.. didn't expect the wall to be so steep and that we really have to climb...
had our lunch. ( The specialty of the village is Donkey meat, there is donkey meat dumplings, donkey meat noodles etc, Ade almost freaked out)

The hike to the base of the wall is about 20 to 30 mins. You will pass by apple farms, corn farms and other farms. Just be careful you do not get spotted by the owners of these land cos get aggressive.

I really had a wonderful time that day. It will be an experience I never forget.












Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

MalcolmMalcolm
Malcolm

Our almost local guide-Malcolm ; climbed the wall like a monkey. I think it's his 4th trip there?
The sane and the brave onesThe sane and the brave ones
The sane and the brave ones

Ade had her slippers on... and climb the wall. The freaking steps are so hard to climb, it's amazing she did it ... even Malcolm the expert wore shoes...
Rest Time!!Rest Time!!
Rest Time!!

Finally a chance to take a breather and take group photo
ThatThat
That

While it's not easy to climb up, it's equally difficult to climb down. We actualy climbed quite high... for someone with Height phobia, I tot is was amazing I survived.
DonkeyDonkey
Donkey

We had an interesting conversation of what's a donkey, what's a mule and what's an Ass. Anyone's guess?
A-maizingA-maizing
A-maizing

Saw such an a-maizing sight on our way back


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb