Forbidden City, an art place, shopping


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
July 3rd 2010
Published: July 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

故宫 (Gugong)!故宫 (Gugong)!故宫 (Gugong)!

"Beijing huanying niiiii!"
Today we went to the Forbidden City which was super hot and crowded and had all of the unpleasantness of Disney World without the air-conditioned Space Mountain ride. I would have appreciated it way more if we had come on a cooler day at a less busy time of week. I really didn't like all the people bumping into me and cutting in front of me. Then we went to a place in the city (I forget the name now) where they do a lot of calligraphy and Chinese painting. I enjoyed that a lot - I love Chinese paintings! We bought some paper for our calligraphy class. Finally, we returned to the Wudaokou (near the university) area and I shopped around the night markets with Alex and Claire! We tried bargaining. We were pretty bad at it but did manage to get ~15 % off our sunglasses.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Kin and the Large Stone CarvingKin and the Large Stone Carving
Kin and the Large Stone Carving

"Carved out of a huge natural stone in the early Ming Dynasty." And then (this seems to be a theme with the places we visit!!) Qianlong re-did it!
Dra-GONDra-GON
Dra-GON

I like the expression on his face.
Dui Xiu Shan = "Hill of Accumulated Elegance"Dui Xiu Shan = "Hill of Accumulated Elegance"
Dui Xiu Shan = "Hill of Accumulated Elegance"

Hill made of rocks with a cave.
Calligraphy ShopCalligraphy Shop
Calligraphy Shop

Ancient characters are beautiful and look a lot like the things they're supposed to represent!
Government ShopGovernment Shop
Government Shop

Where everything was like certified to be real or something. They had a GIANT ink stone. See 张老师 for scale.
SunglassesSunglasses
Sunglasses

Alex and I both got sunglasses at the night market.


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb