So there was a camel by the Great Wall, and then we walked on the ocean...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
March 7th 2010
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

At a Relative's HomeAt a Relative's HomeAt a Relative's Home

We were invited to Li Laoshi's relative's house after having hot pot with all of her father's relatives, and before going to karaoke. Note the cute plastic cup holders for tea!
Ni hao!!

Sorry for the slight lapse in updating.. life got busy! The last time I posted was in the middle of my spring break, which was a few days into Chinese New Year/Spring Festival. Spring Festival lasts 15 days, and lots of days are important. I would elaborate on what they are but I don't remember everything exactly... so I'll just tell you what happened and there's always Wikipedia if you are interested!
On Wednesday, two of my apartmentmates and I took a fast train to our teacher's hometown, Suizhong. It's northeast of Beijing, pretty near the coast. Li Laoshi's family met us at the train station and drove us to their apartment, which at the time seemed like a 15 minute drive, but was actually just around the corner, as we later found out. I expected Suizhong to be freezing and actually a small town, like Purcellville or something, but it was neither. It was about the same temperature as Beijing, but thankfully not subarctic, and was actually fairly sizable... Wikipedia says it has a population of 630,000 (and is the home of the first Chinese citizen to go into space, apparently). That night we ate home-cooked jiaozi
With Li Laoshi and her MomWith Li Laoshi and her MomWith Li Laoshi and her Mom

We finally got a picture with Li Laoshi and her mom! This is at night in front of ... some building.
(dumplings) and some delicious vegetable dishes and met some family friends. Everyone we met was very nice, but it was disconcerting when every single person we met either got right in our faces and said, in Chinese, "Her skin is so white! Hmm.. Her hair is so light! Her teeth are so white!" or, huddled in groups five feet away from us, whispering to each other, "Are they foreigners (laowai)? Look how white their skin is! Look how big their eyes are!" This would be accompanied by the requisite pointing and staring. I think for some people we might have been the first foreigners they'd seen.

*** To Be Continued ***


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Streets of SuizhongThe Streets of Suizhong
The Streets of Suizhong

Three-wheeled vehicles are quite popular, whether of the motorbike or truck variety! Also, look how clear, blue, and pristine the skies are...
An Example of TrafficAn Example of Traffic
An Example of Traffic

On our way to Li Laoshi's uncle's town, we happened upon the Great Wall, and also this traffic! They have three-wheeled cars, buses, and lots of motorcycles on the road. The don't cross the double yellow line rule isn't as stringently followed.. which makes for some interesting traffic encounters... but everyone pays attention and I haven't witnessed any accidents yet!
On the Camel at the Great Wall!On the Camel at the Great Wall!
On the Camel at the Great Wall!

The ocean is frozen! That's the Great Wall! I'm on a huge stinky camel!
We're walking on Water! [Water that is actually ice, technically]We're walking on Water! [Water that is actually ice, technically]
We're walking on Water! [Water that is actually ice, technically]

It was so exciting-- the whole ocean was frozen! And if you look closely, you can see the Great Wall in the background.
Some More Great Wall ScenerySome More Great Wall Scenery
Some More Great Wall Scenery

We decided to hike a little up the sand dunes!
The Entrance to QianmenThe Entrance to Qianmen
The Entrance to Qianmen

Look at the dragons! Look at all of the costumed performers! And all of the red lanterns!
The Year of the Tiger!The Year of the Tiger!
The Year of the Tiger!

There are variations of cute tigers everywhere! Also, SO many red lanterns!!
Crazy LionsCrazy Lions
Crazy Lions

The guys who were lions were really athletic!
Some Spunky LadiesSome Spunky Ladies
Some Spunky Ladies

These women were portraying.... something. I'm not sure what. But I liked the one in the middle!
The Lion Tamer at Work!The Lion Tamer at Work!
The Lion Tamer at Work!

The four lions were after the ball that the trainer was holding. They were pretty lion-like!
The Empress?The Empress?
The Empress?

You can't really see her, but I think the woman inside the cart thing was supposed to be maybe an empress?
More Lions and Dragons! And McDonalds, of course!More Lions and Dragons! And McDonalds, of course!
More Lions and Dragons! And McDonalds, of course!

These lion guys were pretty impressive!
I wish I knew what this meant..I wish I knew what this meant..
I wish I knew what this meant..

Some interesting- and Year of the Tiger-themed- window dressing at Espirit.
First Steps on the Great Wall!First Steps on the Great Wall!
First Steps on the Great Wall!

Look how far it stretches! I cannot imagine building this.
As it Began to SnowAs it Began to Snow
As it Began to Snow

These mountains looked pretty tricky. The Great Wall would be the icing on the cake to convince me that invading just wasn't worth it.
Little Outpost!Little Outpost!
Little Outpost!

This picture mostly serves as a reference for the next picture. But it's cute, kind of cozy, I guess!
Peacock in the Old Summer PalacePeacock in the Old Summer Palace
Peacock in the Old Summer Palace

I thought this was so pretty! It was the first thing I saw once we stepped over the gate.


18th March 2010

gong xi fa cai means "happy new year" :) Apparently a british man 26 years to walk the entire great wall...this is what a tour guy once told me when I last visited. and apparnelty the ball that dragon is after represents the "sun" or the "pearl of wisdom" which is representing how the lion is always pursuing wisdom.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb