Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 20th 2009
Published: September 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This little street where the hostel was located, just 750 meters from Tian an Men square (the main square of Beijing and the largest in the world), was completely in rubles and earth when I arrived. By the time I left, it was nearly finished entirely (about 300 meters long and 5 meters wide). Chinese work very hard day and night. Very impressive but odd to another extent when these workers come from out of town work for little wages and then subject to the temptations and delights of the city. Communism is still alive in some aspects.

I met a couple of friends from home with whom we went out and discovered the Olimipic stadium. The famous Bird's nest stadium and the cube are in surprisingly bad condition after merely a year. rust is leaking like honey and the cube, in spite looking spectacular at night seems an assembly of old rags. It is suggested that had the construction of the same building and infrastructure been made in Europe, the cost would have been 10 times. Evidently the difference does appear.

Beijing is a booming city with broad avenues and high rise offices and accommodation. Their creativity is endless and the modernity of some of the structures is beyond imagination and sometimes even realism (TV building). there are countless shops selling all range of things from real 10.000 Rolexe's, to its imitation of 100 to fake golf clubs or Lush products directly imported. Many huge companies have made their way to this city which in spite of its modernity has very poor access to internet and a complete blockage on facebook and about 10% of the web. Many foreigners are living in this city using its ultramodern metro system and working for duration ranging from 6 months to a few years. It must be an amazing place to live for a while thought the high level of air toxicity can be quite unpleasant and limiting sometime the view to a few hundred meters.

I visited the historic and monumental Forbidden City which in spite of its name as the Royalty wanted to keep it for themselves, is surprisingly lacking of gardens. The building themselves are masterpieces and its sheer size is mind blowing. Other truly phenomenal achievements are all over the city though the temple of heaven is certainly a high light. The entire structure is without a nail and is within a beautiful large park. The summer palace also is an impressive sight though the vastness is just so big that its difficult to picture it being utilized appropriately.

At the hostel loads of backpackers, most of which are either finishing and heading home or starting their adventures. there is a whole range of backpackers but the majority are actually more short term wanderers. With some Swedish we headed towards the Great wall going from Jinshuan to Sumati. It was a truly amazing experience primarily because the weather was on our side. We had first a little rain but then just sunshine with a few white clouds prettily dotting the skyline. It enabled us to see the wall all the way to the distance with some of the towers virtually in equilibrium upon cliffs and stairs which seemed more like walls. It is without a doubt a wonder a true one to an unbelievable scale. Much of this section is still unrenovated (since its construction in the 16th century) and offers a traditional and more genuine view on the wall. thankfully the few tourists that were around us at the time we got to the top very quickly disappeared leaving us to fully appreciate the quietness and serenity of the barrier to Mongolia. There were surprisingly many middle aged women selling drinks at more than two hours from any village or path; and the most surprising part is that they offered them cold.... All this for a mere 20% increase in cost of when buying in a supermarket. This unrenovated section will not be so for long as already the last kilometer has been redone and they are currently around 40 workers renovating its towers and walls. They don't use modern techniques but are doing so with the traditional way in which they were originally built. Riquety for the least.... At their current pace in a couple of years the whole section will be shining again thought sacrificing a little, as in so many places, its traditional atmosphere.

On the 3rd of October is the 60th anniversary of the PRC, and in its tense preparation they were holding a practice session at its fullest scale. This meant that instead of just closing off with some policemen the the street wrapping round the Tian an men sq, they closed the entire line 2 of the metro which one of the most important lines in the town, diverted every street at 1km and every person at 500m and put some allegedly 20.000 policemen and military and swat all over the city. Even saw a couple of military armoured trucks. Very impressive thought a little annoying as I therefore had to walk half the city to get back.

I also visited the mausoleum of Lenin where still today hundreds wait in cue on week ends to glimpse on the very much wax looking figure for approximately 15 seconds. Fortunately I went in the week and took a mere 13 minutes in total however on week-ends the cue can wrap round the entire square stretching the cue up to easily 3 hours for possible 3 minutes AT MOST. it is really surprising but very interesting to see the still very ideological passion of some.

The national theater of Performing arts is the most spectacular modern building I have ever seen. It has no entrance and is surrounded by a pound just a 50sm deep but providing just the right affect. The interior having passed and under passageway is stunning with floors which are destabilizing. The interiors are just uncommonly well done and its design goes from a modern italian vial to a star treck marble ship. Tremendous.

Beijing is an amazing town with countless tailors, restaurants, stands and hotels which can offer something for everyone. What a place and certainly a place to come back to. Visiting the traditional house was also quite memorable seeing the how life was lead in the military leadership with all of its advantages.

Next Nanjing and Shanghai

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb