Beijing Different Perspectives Newsletter May 14, 2008


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
May 14th 2008
Published: December 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dear Patrons

Welcome to our news letter. The Staff at Different Perspectives aim to bring a clearer picture of current events effecting China and Asia.

Although we believe the international media driven primarily by western worlds interests, is bringing the public events as they happen, we at

Different Perspectives are independent and non biased without an agenda for prestige or monetary profit. We simply feel the western world
may be somewhat isolated from news that is local to our office here in Beijing, China.



Thank you
Different Perspectives Staff
Edward
________________________________________
EU wants to push Myanmar to accept more aid
Official warns that not taking the aid is a 'crime against humanity'
Myanmar soldiers unload water from a U.S. Air Force C-130 in Yangon Monday. Myanmar agreed to accept more American aid, officials said Tuesday,

It has largely only allowed supplies from the outside. Two U.S. planes and a U.N. convoy have already delivered aid. In an apparent concession, the junta seemed set to allow U.S. supply planes to continue to land Wednesday.
________________________________________

China, Russia reluctant to push Myanmar
France, Britain and the United States, three of the U.N. Security Council's five veto-wielding members, have indicated they want the council to take action to get Myanmar's leaders to open its borders to more aid.
But China and Russia as well as some other non-veto-wielding members have opposed having the U.N. body that deals with peace and security take up a humanitarian catastrophe.

John Clancy, spokesman for EU Development Commissioner Louis Michel, said the EU aid chief was heading to Bangkok in a diplomatic mission to persuade Myanmar's leaders to open its borders to aid.

He said four EU aid experts were sent to Myanmar aboard a Swedish aid flight loaded with tents and blankets meant for 1,400 victims, which was allowed to enter the country.

"The United States has made an initial aid contribution but we want to do a lot more," Bush said in the Oval Office. "We're prepared to move U.S. Navy assets to help find those who have lost their lives, to help find the missing, to help stabilize the situation. But in order to do so, the military junta must allow our disaster assessment teams into the country."

Bush spoke at a ceremony where he signed legislation awarding the Congressional Gold Medal to democracy advocate Aung San Suu Kyi.
"This is a fitting tribute to a courageous woman who speaks for freedom for all the people of Burma and who speaks in such a way that she's a powerful voice, in contrast to the junta that currently rules the country," Bush said.

But it may be harder for Myanmar to open up to the United States, which maintains heavy sanctions against the junta.

By Matt Spetalnick and Susan Cornwell
________________________________________
Laura Bush urges Myanmar to accept US disaster team
WASHINGTON, May 5 (Reuters) - First lady Laura Bush urged Myanmar's military rulers on Monday to accept a U.S. disaster response team that so far has been kept out, saying it would clear the way for broader relief in the wake of a devastating cyclone.

Making an unusual foray into foreign policy, Mrs. Bush, an outspoken critic of Myanmar's generals, also accused the junta of failing to warn its citizens in time about the approaching cyclone that has been blamed for at least 10,000 deaths.

The U.S. Embassy in Myanmar, an impoverished Southeast Asian country under heavy U.S. sanctions



Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb