Computer died


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 28th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I am sorry to report that my computer has died, perhaps for the duration of the trip. I'm typing this entry on Jesse's computer, but I haven't figured out if that will be my temporary solution or not.

The battery is shot on my Powerbook. But there is hope. An Apple store opened here just prior to the Olympics -- I'm hoping they have what I need. Else I'll go to plan b...

In the meantime, I thought I should note that I haven't been writing my blogs in order, although I post them in chronological order. Thus, if you are a reader who just looks at the top, most recent blog, you may have missed some. So until I add anything new, feel free to go back and catch up!

I also don't know if you all have heard, but the original bell was stolen out of the 150-year-old Spencer Brook School in Spencer Brook Township, Isanti County. The Isanti County Historical Society manages the county-owned facility. We were so proud of our original bell. And now some thieves have made off with it, damaging the roof and the cupola while they were at it. Just tragic. The theft was featured on Channel 4 news the other night. A $500 reward is being offered -- which is more than the bell would be worth in scrap metal. And the theives really had to work at stealing it. Because it is set up so high and is so heavy, we figure they had to use a lift for the heist. If you could send out word to anyone you know to be on the lookout, we sure would appreciate it. We figure the thieves intend to sell it for scrap.

WCCO STORY LINK: http://wcco.com/local/school.stolen.bell.2.804640.html

ICHS PRESS RELEASE:

SPENCER BROOK SCHOOL BELL STOLEN

When you think you have seen it all, something like this happens! Sometime during the week of August 18, the original, 150 year-old school bell from the Spencer Brook Premiere School No. 1 was stolen. The bell was hanging in the cupola, and had most recently been rang to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the school, and its upcoming restoration in 2009.

Now, mind you, this bell weighs about 300 lbs and has an attached pulley wheel which enabled the school children to ring the bell each day for school. The bell was housed in the original cupola/bell tower, positioned atop the 40 ft. high roof. Having said this, it is speculated that whomever removed the bell had to have a lift, as well as some lighting--because surely an operation such as this could not have been accomplished unnoticed by area residents in the daylight, and was probably not a one-person operation. In the commission of the bell theft, the cupola also suffered structural damage.

The Isanti County Historical Society, Spencer Brook Historic Association, and Isanti County would like to appeal to the general public, as well as all persons that may be approached to purchase the bell as scrap metal, to notify the Isanti County Sheriff's Department immediately at 763-689-2141. If anyone has information about the theft of the bell, its wearabouts, or may have seen activity around the school over the past 10 days, please report this to the Isanti County Sheriff's office as well.

The Spencer Brook School is in the beginning stages of restoration, to be completed in June of 2009. A grant application has been submitted to the Minnesota Historical Society, and substantial fundraising and events have been carried out to provide matching grant funds. The theft of the bell is a terrible blow to the morale of the community and those organizations that have been working so diligently for over a year to bring all the pieces together for the 150th celebration in June 2008, the grant, and subsequent restoration.

Now, for those who may have taken the bell--it would be a much easier operation for you to return the bell, during the nighttime hours, and leave it in front of the school. The theft of county property is nothing to be proud of. This bell has significant historical and sentimental value to the Spencer Brook community and former students of the school--far beyond the amount of money that you could receive from selling it for scrap.

Spencer Brook School No. 1 is owned by Isanti County, maintained and monitored by the Isanti County Historical Society and the Spencer Brook Historic Association. If you have any information about the bell, or would like to become involved in the restoration of the school, to donate funds, become a volunteer or become a member of the Isanti County Historical Society, please contact 763-689-4229 or email ichsdirector@izoom.net.

Advertisement



28th August 2008

stupid theives
that is so sad... why would someone even want to do something like that?

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb