The end of the road


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
June 20th 2008
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Shopping at the MarketShopping at the MarketShopping at the Market

After three tries, Tyler bought this jacket for about $12.
Greetings - It is 5:00am China Time on Saturday morning = 5:00pm Buckeye Time on Friday evening.

Well our final day has come and gone. The kids had their final day of class and after lunch we hit the road one last time. First we went to visit the Peking University where we walked around for a little bit. It happened to be graduation day and many students were running around in caps and gowns, just like home. PU holds about 45,000 students, so its size is very close to OSU.

Next we went to the Dahli Llama's Temple. There were several what I would call sanctuaries, one behind the next, and at each people would light incense and then do little prayer rituals before putting the incense into a huge burner. It was the most fragrant attraction we have seen so far!

Dinner was to follow. It was a traditional pot something or something pot dinner - I don't remember the term. Each table had a huge pot in the middle that had charcoal and was boiling away with liquid. We then added whatever meat and vegetables we wanted and waited for them to cook. The process
Kite MakingKite MakingKite Making

Kite making and flying was a fun way to learn Chinese culture.
was similar to fondue, but you were cooking your food rather than dipping your already cooked food into something. I would have to say I don't think anyone liked this as well as the Peking Duck dinner, but it was a Chinese meal unlike any we have had, therefore another new adventure.

On the way home the bus dropped those that wanted to market shop a little more off at a place similar to the Silk Market. Unfortunately without knowing, we were dropped at 7:15 and the store closed at 7:00. We all caught a few lingering stores, but it was not the experience we had hoped. During our 15 minute walk back to the school, it started raining and we were all pretty soaked by the time we got back, but the kids puddle jumped and laughed and we made it back safe and sound.

The evening was full of trying to figure why our suitcases are smaller now than when we came and not knowing how we will get everything on the plane. The kids had a final journal check and we all prepared to leave.

And so we are at the beginning of the
Welcome BannerWelcome BannerWelcome Banner

The banner in the background in part says "Welcome Metro High School"
end. We will leave for the airport at 8:30 this morning (8:30 your Friday evening). Pinpin is staying behind and will travel eight hours by fast rail to visit her family, renew her Visa, and try to find a Chinese Chemsistry book to use for instruction in the coming year. Not a class I want to take!!

With the closing of the blogs, I would be remiss if I did not provide "credits" to our show. This trip was well thought out, with few flaws and with flexibility to tailor itself to the interests of the group. Our tour guide, "Jeff" was willing to change things a bit to add things like the trip to the Panda Zoo and additional shopping time at the market. I know he will be sad to say goodbye because he dreams of coming to the States someday, but that is a hard thing for most Chinese to do.

I never learned our driver's name, but he could turn that bus on a dime. Many times each day we were amazed at the tight spots he got in and out of!

Zhiwei Bi, "Bee", is the Assistant Director of the K-12 Chinese
Olympic MedalsOlympic MedalsOlympic Medals

This year's medal will include inlays of jade.
Flagship Program at OSU. She coordinated many of the things we did and accompanied us most everywhere we went. No doubt she spent a lot of time making sure this trip went off smoothly, and we appreciate her efforts very much.

Your students are lucky to have Mrs. Ensign, Mrs. McAllister, and Mr. Johannsen as part of their Metro High School lives. These people genuinely care about your kids and it was quite evident throughout the week. Chuck and I have been fortunate to get to know each of them.

Mrs. Raymond does not know the word "rest". If she wasn't touring with a group of kids, she was at the computer working on their schedules, or working on something Metro. She tires me just to watch her because I don't think she has an "off" switch. I admire her for everything she does to make Metro what it is.

And finally, in my opinion, the star of the show...saving the best for last...

I could write a whole blog about PinPin. While everyone already mentioned deserves huge recognition, PinPin was always at the forefront of the entire tour. She was the go-to person for everything
Boat RideBoat RideBoat Ride

We rode this boat early on to cross the lake after a very long walk.
and everybody. Where are we going? - ask PinPin. I want internet - tell PinPin. What did they say? - let PinPin translate. The toilet's stopped up!!! - get PinPin!! There is a ball of fire in that little body and she did not let anyone get the best of her or any of us. I am sure that every night when she closed her door, she sighed with relief that she might finally get some peace and quiet from us crazy Americans!

So, the tour of China is over and the journey of returning home begins. I imagine that come Monday we will all crash, between the jet lag and adjusting back into real life and food that does not include rice, at least for a few days. I know I look forward to seeing my family and complaining that the dog wants out in the middle of the night, and pizza.

Today's pictures are random, from througout the week. I enjoyed the opportunity to bring this blog to you and hope you have enjoyed reading about our trip. The Metro students are a great group of kids. They have opportunities available to them beyond the normal
Credits to the photographerCredits to the photographerCredits to the photographer

Chuck took all the pictures I used. We have enjoyed touring with Metro very much.
high school experience and it sounds like many of them are making the most of what they have. Chuck and I have appreciated the chance to share this trip with them and hope that you have enjoyed sharing this trip through the blog with us as well.

When we return home, I will be submitting a group picture we took at The Great Wall to The Dispatch in hopes that it will be published in their travel section. I also told Mrs. Raymond that I will prepare an article that we hope will be published in the Suburban News papers (like The Pickerington Times). If I successfully accomplish either, I will send notice through the blog so that you can look for it.

Enjoy your summer!

penny

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb