Beijing City Tour


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
October 15th 2005
Published: October 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

We finally got tour the city we live in. The day consisted of going to the Forbidden City, Summer Palace, and Temple of Heaven.

The Forbidden City was a big where the King resided in. The place is huge and has many many rooms and bulidings. The place was for the king and his 3,000 concubines....hmmmm interesting.....I bet he had a tough decision everynight. The men that worked inside the Forbidden City had to be CASTRATED to insure the king's ladies weren't messed with.

The Summer Palace was built for one of the Queens. She wanted a get-away from the Forbidden City. The king ordered the Summer Palace to be built for his mother. Within the park, there is a man made lake. He ordered that the lake be in the shape of a pear to symbolize longevity and prosperity. Geez....what a gift for your mother. What would your reaction be if your son gave you a huge park????

The Temple of heaven is also another huge park. The king believed he was the son of the god. So he built a temple for his "father". Because his father was the god, the land that the Temple of Heaven resided on is four times as large as the Forbidden City.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Temple of HeavenTemple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven

This Temple is dedicated to the King's "father". It sits in the middle of a round fortress.
Temple of Heaven IITemple of Heaven II
Temple of Heaven II

I am standing on the third stone leading to the Temple of Heaven. If you stand on this stone and talk or clap, you will hear three echo come back to you.
Temple of Heaven IVTemple of Heaven IV
Temple of Heaven IV

This is round wall is very cool. One person can whisper in one corner while another person can hear you clearly on the opposite corner.
Summer Palace Lake VSummer Palace Lake V
Summer Palace Lake V

From Left to Right: Trey(roommate), Janice(Some girl we met during our tour), Me, and Jenny(Apartmentmate)


24th October 2005

I LOVE looking at all your pictures and funny captions! Thanks for keeping us so up-to-date! Feels like I'm traveling right there with you!
25th October 2005

Wow!! Great pictures Jonathan! Send more more more!!! Hope all is well. Take care-Lea
27th October 2005

More time for study....
And, of course, with housecleaning duties reassigned, there is plenty of studying, right?!?
27th October 2005

hahaha
i've decided that you take pictures all the same... but that's ok, i do too. haha. but all the same i enjoy your pictures and updates... you inspire me to do the same... but eh... its not gonna happen... hahaha...
1st November 2005

Love it!!!
Great pictures! I think I'll have to plan a trip to China!
15th November 2005

Publicity for UCSD in the Forbidden City
It is *great* to see you wearing a UCSD sweatshirtin your photos. Next time you are visiting China, we should have a RADY sweatshirt and you can take that along with you on your trip. Keep sending the photos, I am experiencing a vicarious vacation to China. Suzanne

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb