Beijing, Forbidden City and Food Market.


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
September 30th 2007
Published: October 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mmm down in one!Mmm down in one!Mmm down in one!

Now you see it now you don't!
Spent a week in Beijing, our longest stop on our trip so far. We visited temples, tourist sites including the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, eating snakes and scorpions and the famous Peking duck, survived riding bikes, rickshaws and squashing on buses with busy commuters. The blog entries are split up as we have so many photos!

Our first hostel had a Moon party, to celebrate the Moon festival, the 10th moon of the year (I think). So we went to the free BBQ, ate vast quantities of meat kebabs, not quite sure what meat it actually was but it tasted good and Zoe drank her first bottle of beer as that was the only drink available! Chatting to other like minded travellers - all doing the same route around Asia, the time passed quickly and before we knew it, it was midnight!

The Forbidden City took us 5 hours to walk around with an audio guide, but even then, we only saw half of the city. It is a huge place, with really interesting history. There were crowds of people (as there seems to be everywhere we go!) around the entrance, not amused we still ventured inside. As
Ming Dynasty architectureMing Dynasty architectureMing Dynasty architecture

Happy snap inside the Forbidden City
we walked through the beginning park / garden area, the crowds depleted. The whole concept of the Forbidden City's history is quite amazing. Emporers, Princesses, a ranking of concubines, an heir required to follow the throne, bought trouble among the Emporer and his ladies. Horrid threats among the concubines, some even died because of their importance to the Emporer. The Forbidden City covers a huge area, an expanse of impressive, colourful buildings, ranked in order of importance, which can be noted by the number of dragons on its roof edges. This was one of the highlights of our Beijing visit.

The food market in Beijing was amusing! A street with loads of stalls all selling food, some kebabs, some noodles, a variety of seafood, various kinds of meat and many tourists having a good old look! Phil was brave, he ate a snake kebab and 3 scorpions too! Our sensible heads took us into a restaurant to satisfy our craving for more Peking duck though!




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Scorpions on a stickScorpions on a stick
Scorpions on a stick

Crispy scorpions- delicious Phil says!
Didn't fancy a cricket!Didn't fancy a cricket!
Didn't fancy a cricket!

Cricket or grasshopper, not sure what is was, either way we didn't fancy it!
Take your pick from the seafood on offerTake your pick from the seafood on offer
Take your pick from the seafood on offer

silk worms too! I'm not a celebrity, but get me out of here! I'm not eating that!
Street food marketStreet food market
Street food market

Like nothing like we've seen yet on this trip.
Did Zoe eat it?Did Zoe eat it?
Did Zoe eat it?

Not likely! Who do you think I am?!
Peking Duck at last!Peking Duck at last!
Peking Duck at last!

So delicious and less than 4 quid for 2 people and half a duck! Yum yum!
Now this is how we travel!Now this is how we travel!
Now this is how we travel!

For less than 10p a ride! As you can imagine, we blend in well!
9 million bicycles in Beijing!9 million bicycles in Beijing!
9 million bicycles in Beijing!

Here are just a few of them. They are everywhere ringing their bells as they whizz past you!
Entrance to the Forbidden City.Entrance to the Forbidden City.
Entrance to the Forbidden City.

Standing on Tai'anamen Square
Amazing colours and patterns.Amazing colours and patterns.
Amazing colours and patterns.

Roof tops and gable ends inside the Forbidden City.
Us with our audio guidesUs with our audio guides
Us with our audio guides

Now what was it I learned?
This is a huge place!This is a huge place!
This is a huge place!

5 hours later, only half way round!
Wait for me!Wait for me!
Wait for me!

Somewhere in the centre of the Forbidden City.
Yellow roof tiles.Yellow roof tiles.
Yellow roof tiles.

Amazing decorative ceramic tiles in the Forbidden City.


Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 18; qc: 95; dbt: 0.1286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb