Life in the Australian Embassy, Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
September 18th 2007
Published: September 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Olympics in flowersOlympics in flowersOlympics in flowers

Olympic events are featured in flowers like this cycling
There must be many worse situations than being posted to the Australian Embassy in Beijing, and sharing that life for a week or so is a real privilege.

The Beijing Embassy is our second biggest after Jakarta, and has the great bonus that most of the Oz staff live within the embassy grounds -- which they don't do in most other places. Our host, Ian Jackson, looks after physical security here, and he and wife Heather who is employed in Immigration, have two teenage daughters of 18 and 16 who are at school here. Their four bedroom appartment is great, with basic furniture supplied but other bits and pieces brought from home. Outside the door there is a lawn so that Ozzie kids and their parents remember what that green stuff is, and can kick balls. There is a gym and swimming pool, and active social club. I have even acquired a stubby to prove it.

In addition, we can get Australian overseas television (plus BBC, CNN etc.), the water supply is filtered so is safe to drink, unlike elsewhere, and you can phone Australia for the cost of a local call!

The Jacksons have an eye-ee (that's how it sounds, but spelling may be completely wrong) who comes in daily from about 9 am to 4.30 pm and cooks and cleans. Mrs Li is a treasure, and her meals, when we have been in to eat them have been great -- not only Chinese style, but last night she turned her hand to the best shepherd's pie I can recall. Families with young children tend to have two eye-ees, so it must be a rude shock returning to Oz to survive without this help for the mums.

Heather and Ian purchased a mini-van from a departing colleague, although Heather avoids driving anywhere but to and from the airport, which route she has mastered. Traffic is hell. Taxis are very cheap, and are easily hailed outside the gate to take you where-ever. Just be prepared to sit for a while in parking lots, also known as ring roads!

Not a bad life, despite the smog, so they get plenty of visitors, including us -- courtesy of my friend Heather's friendship with Heather Jackson. Normally postings are only a couple of years, but they may be staying on over the Olympics to provide stability. They will know around Christmas. And you can bet they will receive many more visitors between now and then.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb