Adjusting to Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
September 13th 2007
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Now settled into the Australian Embassy quarters in Beijing, and it's looking pretty good. Arriving yesterday you could part the air with a chopstick, so I pity any poor athletes trying to do their best times, either now or next year. Even flying in to the airport, the front camera could only produce a brown blur. It was a bit of a contrast with wonderful Copenhagen where we spent about six hours in transit. As we came in, it was a beautiful clear day and I was intrigued to see wind turbines out in the bay/ocean near the airport. Had recalled that the Danes were great advocates and exporters of wind energy, and saw plenty of their turbines in Spain. Interestingly, there is a display about wind energy inside the terminal using -- wait for it -- probably Denmark's greatest export to the world in Lego!

And of course, for those who know me well, Denmark is also the home of Georg Jensen, so couldn't resist a few small items at the airport outlet -- but not too many as I wouldn't want to be too disloyal to the lovely Seymour in Perth.

Swan Lake in St Peterburg was excellent in another magnificent theatre full of gilt and chandeliers. You could go just for the ambiance, not look at the stage and still have a good time.

Last night our hostess had a 'cashmere party' here, and quite a few embassy ladies boosted their wardrobes with special orders. But seeing it was a two week turnaround and they couldn't supply my favourite green, I was able to resist.

Today we visited the Qing Dynasty Summer Palace in the rain, but that's life. Will probably be hitting the shops tomorrow.

And in answer to a query, St Petersburg began with that name in 1703, became Petrograd later (although I've forgotten why exactly), then Leningrad until 1991. Lenin fell into disfavour around then and it reverted to the original name. But a very impressive city, built on canals, so a sort of 'Venice of the north'. Needless to say, my Delhi pashmina, thrown into the pack at the last minute, got a heavy work out as a head covering as we entered so many churches.

The northern Russians seemed slightly more sociable than in Moscow, but the average Russian males still favoured a half empty bottle of beer as an essential fashion accessory -- along with the smoking cigarette of course! Our nanny staty would deal with them severely!

Cheers for now

Georgie

Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb