Beijing what else can I say


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
July 27th 2005
Published: July 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

UsUsUs

Here is us, the Forbidden City, and the people
Beijing, a city of legend, myth, magic, confusion, and millions of people. We have been here for about a week now and have stayed in two different locations, the first of which was horrible. It was four stories under ground, similar to a dungeon, and the shared bathroom and shower area was, well lets say less than clean. Even though the living conditions were not so good we were in a pretty good location.

Beijing is probably the largest city that we have visited on this trip. Everything is very spread out. There is a subway and it is somewhat crowded but we have been on worse. It is quite hot though, since it is not air conditioned like most that we have experienced. We do use it often but if you have to wait in line for anything expect to push and shove you way to the front. Here in Beijing businesses must force customers to stand in a line, if they don't people create a massive clump around the counter and many are coming from the back and cutting in front of whoever they can. I have gotten use to this and now I just join in and
DinnerDinnerDinner

Fried Scorpions, no I did not try them, but I still may.
throw my hand out with the money for the subway ticket and shout where I am going. It works very well.

On our first day we went to the Forbidden City which is not so Forbidden any more. We of coarse saw the large painting of Mao in front of the city, and Tiananmen Square from across the 1st ring road. There were so many people there that it was impressive yet not so enjoyable. The Forbidden City itself has around 9000 rooms, but even with that many it was still too crowded. It was exciting none the less, and since I have heard so much about the place it was a thrill to see.

On some other day that we were here we met with my former Chinese History Professor from UNF Harry Rothschild. He invited us to have breakfast with his family in Beijing near the Marco Polo bridge. To get there the taxi driver called him and got directions after some confusion. And he got a little lost along the way, but we made it. For breakfast we had some roasted soy beans, soy bean soup with tofu, amazing beef slices, various types of Beijing
Peiking DuckPeiking DuckPeiking Duck

Since I wanted to try Peiking Duck and Zara doesn't eat meat this was a great alternative. I think it tasted very authentic.
breads, and many other vegetable dishes. It was great, and really authentic. Zara was really pleased with the vegetable dishes, because during our time in China we had been unable to find anything stellar for her to eat. Not to mention when she did find a dish that was good it was impossible to tell if it had been cooked in meat. Harry's family was very welcoming and friendly, and we enjoyed meeting them very much.

After breakfast Harry, Viola, his daughter, Zara and I were off to a market. This market had many what seemed to be old artifacts from China's history. Many old Communist posters, and metals from previous wars. Such as one that was honoring troops for fighting the American Solders during a war I cannot remember. We found a brass door knocker that we could not refuse and you will all see it when we return.

Next we were off to eat again, shopping in 100 degree Beijing is very exhausting, Beijing Hot Pot. Hot Pot is a dish that is quite new to us, the food itself is not strange, it is the preparation that makes it unique. It is served with a boiling pot of broth in the center of the table, then the waiter or waitress brings out raw lamb, beef, winter melon, and other meats and vegetables. We then cook what we want ourselves in the broth. To top it off you coat the dish with a peanut sauce. It is fun to eat and seems easy to make, so we will try this at home when we return.

Finally we went the Temple of Heaven. This is where the Emperors came to communicate with heaven. We all stood on the exact spot that the Emperor would stand to connect with heaven. We had to fight for it since there were so many people there, and as you all know there was not a line. It is a nice park with ceder lined walkways. Then we said goodbye, which was strange since he was the first person first familiar face in 2 months. Thanks Harry.

We have done a lot more than this in the week we have been here but I am too lazy to write anymore. I bet you are wondering, why haven't they gone to the Great Wall that is the thing to see in Beijing, right? Well yes it is and we will do that tomorrow, at 7:20am sharp. We have opted to go the the less restored and less toured Simatai section, it should be breathtaking. You will hear more about that later.

Till next time,

Jonathan and Zara








Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb