Hong Kong & Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
March 16th 2007
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sorry, but this blog isn't going to be filled with loads of amazing pictures as i am in an internet cafe somewhere in Beijing and all of the instructions are in Chinese, of which I still only speak two words! We're getting by with a lot of pointing and sign language, which I think is improving all the time!

I can however tell you that we're having a fantastic time! Started off last Tuesday by flying into Hong Kong, where we sorted out the visas for Vietnam & China as well as seeing & doing all the touristy areas - Stanley Market, Big Budda, the light display and the markets. Hong Kong was fantastic - completely mad and there was no way of avoiding the crowds - you just get caught up with the whole thing and go with the flow.
We got a flight from Honkers to Beijing, which for backpackers on a budget may seem a bit extravagent, but when given the choice between that and a 26 hour train journey the plane won hands down (and the fact it was only 20 quid more and Air China is a VERY nice airline was just a bonus!).
Beijing is very different from Hong Kong - for a start it is absolutely enormous - apparently it's about 6500 sq mi!! When you look at the map, and decide to walk a block, you forget that one block takes about 15 minutes to walk. This is no city for pedestrians!! The hostel we're staying in is excellent too - Far east Youth Hostel. The location couldn't be better, the facilities are excellent, rooms are 3.50 a night and the beer is all of about 60p - what more could 2 backpackers want?!?!
The first full day we walked for miles. The first obvious site was Tianamen Square as this is only 20 mins from the hostel. Behind this is the Forbidden City, which was very impressive, but the most spectacular buildings were closed off as they are doing them up for the 2008 Olympics, but still plenty to see here. Speaking of Olympics, the following day we took a taxi ride up to the Olympic Stadium, it looks cross between an enormous polo mint and a birds nest. From there we went onto the Summer Palace which has been my favourite experience so far. Oh by the way the taxi ride, bearing in mind we were travelling for approx 1 hour was 5 quid - things are so cheap here! Hopefully I'll be able to post the photos on my next blog, but they won't do the place justice.
Whilst at the palace I'd just finished eating my lunch (the equivalent of a Galaxy chocolate bar!- don't worry Mum, I am eating sensibly, most of the time!), anyway about 5 Chinese tourists were looking and pointing and giggling at Mike and me. After what seemed ages (probably 15 secs) one of them came up to me and said 'photo, photo'. I gave them a bit of a puzzled look, at which point they grabbed me and proceeded to take it in turns to have there photo taken with me. Even walking down the streets people stop and stare, and say hello to us, and they're all so nice too. Westeners do seem to be a bit of a novelty!
After the Summer Palace we took a bus ride back to Tianamen Sq, which took 1 3/4hrs and cost 12p each - a bargain! Feeling a little peckish we decided to have Peking Duck. It turns out that the restaurant was 'the' place to go for Peking duck and there were pictures of loads of famous leaders that had eaten there - George Bush snr, Yassar Arrafat (no idea how to spell that). Well if it's good enough for them it's definately good enough for us! Well, until the bill arrived - 22 quid a head! But if you're going to eat Peking duck in Peking then you may as well do it with style!
On Wednesday we had a 6am start as we walked the Great Wall of China. Well 10km of it anyway! Even though I was absolutley nackered and wondered whether I was going to be the first person to be stretchered off the thing it was definately worth it. We went from Jinshanling to Samatai, which is meant to be the best part to walk - more stunning views and less tourists. It would have been even better if we did not have an escort of about 10 people trying to flog us postcards, books and t-shirts, 'beer, coke, water' all at ridiculous prices. They slowly tailed off, and I guess I can't complain too much as they did help me up the harder sections.
Also went to the Temple of Heaven , but to be honest wasn't as impressed with this. Would probably have been better if there weren't so many bloody tourists!!!!
So that's it - the trip so far. Shame I can't upload any photos as we have seen some amazing places.
Till next time folks.......



Advertisement



16th March 2007

Wow!
Sounds amazing really pleased for you to be doing such an incredible journey. your diary allows me to escape from sandwiches which is a blessing! love Tom x
24th March 2007

Honkers!
Ah, and you always wondered why i was a bit odd. Now you know having seen where i grew up!!! Glad you're making the most of it, yous somewhat rather enviably, sarah xxx

Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb