Great Wall, snow and blossoms


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
April 8th 2018
Published: April 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was a day to remember, we saw, we climbed (well Tony climbed) the Great Wall of China covered in snow, it is a majestic place that just makes you feel so insignificant. The history is palatable, if these walls could talk! The locals call it a cemetery because of all the men that died building it and fighting on it to protect China from the invading mongols to mention but one.

It is so ancient it is crumbling in parts and steadfast in others, truly one of the wonders of the world. Many parts are covered in blossoms, mainly peach blossoms but just so picturesque. All the photos I have seen do not do it justice and to see it covered in snow was special as it has not snowed here for many many years.

If I can download some of my many pics I will attempt to do so when the ship internet is a bit quicker.

We spent almost a day wandering the walls and soaking in the history and the magic of the place.

We visited the Square and found it hard to believe the tragedies that have taken place over many many years. The guides are not permitted to speak of the murders but to just smile and say they dont know anything, the locals are forbidden to ask, because it didn't happen! Saw some of the forbidden palace, but not enough time to see all of it, it is huge and also has a sad violent history.

We went on a tour that took us down the old opium lanes in a rickshaw...poor bloody driver! At least it was a motorized one but he did have to pedal hard! We visited the house of a woman who inherited the ancient home of her great grandfather, it is owned by her family, so it can never be taken away from her, she was in her 60's, had retired (no choice) and was very well preserved, no husband and no children,unlike the modern high rise flats that only have a 70 year lease so they never own their own homes, the government does, so they call themselves the slaves of the mortgage, how right they are. I have never seen so many high rise apartments that looks so similar, how they find their way home at night is beyond me.

The Chinese version of vegetarian is very interesting, I love stir fried vegetables especially Chinese ones so I thought it would be easy to find something to eat. Think again!

A short version of a long story, Cheryle, one half of the couple we are travelling with went on a private tour for two days on her own, now I feel bad that I didn't go with her but anyway, she got left behind at the Forbidden City by the tour guide, she had no passport, no money and no way of contacting the guide, every;thing had been left on the bus. Thankfully it all ended well after her hysterical breakdown ( as I would have done) in the middle of the Forbidden city when a young english speaking local took pity on her and was able to ascertain the tour company and eventually they came back for her after a couple of hours, she sat with the lost children in a tent designed for such an event. She is safely back on board with a good tale to share, at least this one had a happy ending.

An amazing country oozing with history both good and bad, everyone has a job so it cant be all bad.



Love

Mex

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb